Question regarding gap in back of fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sethdsm

Dec 29, 2017
Hello. We bought our house just over a year ago and have had weekly fires in it during the cold months (Iowa). Today I did a thorough cleaning of the firebox and discovered that there was a gap at the back where the floor meets the back wall. In the spot where the gap is at, it appears that the back wall is dented back a bit (thus creating the gap).

My primary concern with this gap, of course, is safety of continued use of the unit. What is below that gap? From what I can tell the whole firebox area is contained within a larger metal type of box, but I'm not really sure. The reason I think it's contained in a larger box is that when I pop the front of the area where the blower is underneath, it appears that the top of that section is metal (and thus under the section with the gap mentioned above).

Is this a common issue? Is there a suitable DIY fix, if it is, in fact, an issue?

Attachments

• Question regarding gap in back of fireplace
    IMG_20171229_160536974.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 99
    IMG_20171229_160658655.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 101
    IMG_20171229_160556376.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 99
    IMG_20171229_162151381.jpg