Question regarding Jonsered CS2150 Turbo chain saw, or any saw with a compression button

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04RevX

Hearth Supporter
Jul 5, 2008
Western MA
Hi everyone. I picked this saw up 2nd hand from a relative about a year and a half ago. Great saw, runs great and cuts through anything I can throw at it. My question is about the compression relief button on the cylinder. According to the manual its there for easier starting. I never paid any attention to it until recently...this button won't remain closed (or depressed) while the saw is running. Is it supposed to? Am I losing any power with it being constantly released? I try to push the button back in while the saw is running and it pops right back out. Or I try keeping it in before I start the saw and it just releases when the saw starts.

Any light you guys can shed on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

The compression relief button makes it easier to start the saw. once the say is on the button does nothing for you. If you try to start the saw without the button pressed in you will notice there is more resistance to pull against. It is advised to push the button in and then start the saw.

Ohhhh ok...maybe the way I 'understood' this button to work was opposite of the way it actually works. So with the button pushed in that is when it is supposed to release some compression and therefore make the saw easier to start. And while its running the button is popped out and not releasing any compression at all.

The compression release is to make it pull and start easier, (i.e. lower compression), then it comes back out for normal running. It's nice for those of us with injuries who can't pull as hard as in younger days. On my Husky, if I forget to push that button before yanking the cord, I can really tell the difference.

Some experts have said this feature can be trouble, but I haven't reached an understanding of that yet.

Sounds to me like it's workin' exactly the way it was designed to work. Rick

04RevX said:
Ohhhh ok...maybe the way I 'understood' this button to work was opposite of the way it actually works. So with the button pushed in that is when it is supposed to release some compression and therefore make the saw easier to start. And while its running the button is popped out and not releasing any compression at all.

Yep. Actually, when you push the button in and first choke it and it and the motor "pops" or runs for a second it should pop out. If it stays in when running, yes, you are losing gobs of power.

When working correctly, this will help you the most when the engine is hot and you are doing a re-start. I don't use mine much but i've had my 046 bout' pull the cord out of my hand on a hot re-start (and it hurts).

I love that compression relief feature...what a shoulder saver.

savageactor7 said:
I love that compression relief feature...what a shoulder saver.

Yeah...if I could only remember to use it.... :red:

Yep, I have about killed my should a few times on a hot re-start now that I think of it. Sounds like its working just the way it should be. Thanks for the help everyone...I'm glad I found this site.

My new MS 361 has one. I hardly ever use it. I am so used to my old Husky that does not have one I forget its there lol>>>>>It does make a difference though.

My Dolmar 7900 has one - push it in, and it will stay until the engine starts or at least "burps" then it pops back out. If you pull the cord with the button pushed, it's an easy pull. If you forget, it feels like the rope is attached to a brick wall... You learn REAL quick to push the button!

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.