Question regarding OAK and a drafty house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ShizzelDizzel

Nov 3, 2011
Wesminster, MD
This spring I will be installing an OAK for my stove in my old drafty house because I want to get rid of the draft caused by the stove drawing the cooler air across the floor. My question is I am reading about stoves with the OAK installed and people still using fans to push the cooler air back towards the stove. If the stove is using an OAK, what is the point of pushing the cooler air back towards the stove?

You are referring to a circulation technique. Rooms that are farther away from your stove...or don't get the heat as easily are noticeably colder. If you use a fan to push this cool air towards the stove....the cool air being drawn from that space will be replaced with warm air from the heated space.

I hope that explains it.

As one who is using fans to push cold air towards the stove, I can tell you it has nothing to do with having an OAK or not having an OAK.

The fans push cold air along the floor from other parts of the house to the stove so it can get warmed. Consequently, that cold air is replaced by warm air which helps get the rooms farthest away from the stove warmer.

The cold air is not coming from outside, which is what happens when you don't have an OAK.

jrsdws said:
You are referring to a circulation technique. Rooms that are farther away from your stove...or don't get the heat as easily are noticeably colder. If you use a fan to push this cool air towards the stove....the cool air being drawn from that space will be replaced with warm air from the heated space.

I hope that explains it.

They call it a cold air return.

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.