Questions About Chimney Pass-Through, Connector, and Hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SheridanCleland

Aug 27, 2014
West Virginia
Hello,

I've been browsing these forums for a while to find answers for some of the questions I have, but now I have some specific questions that I can't seem to find answers for regarding the construction of my hearth and use of an existing chimney and chimney connector in a house that I'm currently remodeling. I have several questions, so I'll try to break them down the best that I can. Also, I grew up heating with firewood, so I'm familiar with wood stoves, their function, etc., I'm just not familiar with the installation of them, so your patience with my ignorance is very much appreciated. :)

I should also mention that my first concern is always with safety. I want to make sure I'm doing all of this so my wood stove will function safely.

First, a little history of the house: The cinderblock portion of the house was built in 1950. My grandparents purchased the house in 1983. My grandfather installed the chimney in the late-80s. The chimney is constructed out of cinderblock squares with a terra cotta liner, and the chimney connector passes through the cinderblock wall of the house. My grandfather then built onto the house in the early 90s and the chimney now resides in the kitchen.

Okay, so, I'll start with the chimney and work my way out to the hearth. Also, I'll be installing a United States Stove Company Country Hearth Model 2500LN.

First, when looking through the chimney connector into the liner of the chimney, this is what you see:

chimney_liner.jpg

My question here is should I be worried about those cracks in the liner? If no, then great. If yes, then what are my options for fixing it?

Second, when you look at the chimney connector itself, this is what you see:

chimney_connector.jpg

As you can see, it's cracked. Here's a close-up:

chimney_connector_cu.jpg

My question here is should I replace the chimney connector because of the crack? Someone suggested using a metal liner inside of the connector and not to worry about it, but for the wall pass-through I'm going to be using the Wall Patch Method as suggested by the NFPA (also suggested in the stove's owner's manual), so there will be 12” of solid masonry around all sides of the crock, so my wall looks like this currently:

hearth1.jpg

I purchased 50 concrete bricks from Home Depot last night. You can see one of them in the bottom left corner there, and that's what I'll be using to block in the square around the chimney connector. Now, the manual says: The clay liner shall run from the brick masonry outer surface to the inner surface of the chimney flue liner but not past the inner surface. So, I'm assuming based on that that I should replace the chimney connector regardless because it will have to extend to the outer surface of the bricks I'm installing anyway, correct? Or is there another way I should go about this?

The entire wall looks like this:

hearth3.jpg

I've constructed the hearth/floor protector to the necessary size specifications and for clearances to combustibles as outlined in the owner's manual. I had to use three sheets of 1/2" Durock stacked, and I'll be going up the wall to the ceiling with Durock and up four feet on the right as you can see in the picture. My question here is since I've met the required clearance to combustibles, can I put insulation in that wall? Or should I not put insulation in that wall? I've read a lot about air space, but I don't think that matters in this instance, correct?

Here's a view of the entire hearth area. You can also see the porcelain tile mosaic that we've been piecing together for the hearth:

hearth2.jpg

Finally, about the chimney itself, here is what it looks like in the kitchen:

chimney.jpg

Obviously, my grandfather enclosed it with wood studs and drywall, but I'm wondering if that's the safest thing to do? It was recommended to me that I should probably use metal studs and fire resistant drywall, which sounds a whole lot safer to me or am I worrying about nothing here? What would you guys recommend?

Is there anything else that you see in these photos that I should be worried about?

Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions!

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't read all of that. But here is what you need to know. Reline that chimney with a stainless liner all the way to the top. If it's busted at the thimble it's going to be busted all the way to the top. It must be lined.
Remove those studs from the chimney, just screw cement board to the block and skim it with setting drywall compound. It'll look like the other walls and it will be safe.

Reactions: Warm_in_NH
Agreed you need a liner and if you insulate it the studs on the chimney are perfectly safe i can see that there are plenty of other combustibles in contact so those studs don't matter much. Your pass thru looks good to me

Not really it needs lined your pass thru looks good and like said before about the chimney if the liner is insulated no need to worry about the wood in contact with the outside of the chimney.

just a quick question because I don't any better, If you line the chimney, should there be a 90. deg elbow at the bottom of the liner then regular stove pipe through the "pass through" to the stove setup?

just a quick question because I don't any better, If you line the chimney, should there be a 90. deg elbow at the bottom of the liner then regular stove pipe through the "pass through" to the stove setup?
It should have a SS 2 piece Tee. The SS tee snout will stick out of the thimble enough to attach your connector pipe to.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.