Questions about draft damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdk84

Feb 23, 2011
New England
So after a long battle with my super 27 overdrafting, and the dealer here and replacing my chimney cap, I think a draft damper would be my next step. I have a 18' straight up Excel chimney with double wall stove pipe. After a recent long term power outage I found the stove difficult to control without the blower. After a re-load at 200F stove top, once the secondaries caught and the draft completely shut at 400F The stove would soar too 875F and a stove probe temp of 1275F with 3/4 load of white birch. I noticed since it was dark and no electricity that the stove collar ring was starting to glow red. Obviously not a good sign, But not much I could do about it. So anyway, my question is I was told that the Excel damper can either be used fully open or fully shut and not partially closed. Is this true and does anyone have any experience using a damper on a Super 27 or T5?

With only 18ft, that seems odd. Not that I am doubting you, but it is uncommon. Have you or the dealer looked underneath the stove and confirmed that the secondary linkage is connected and that the air control is able to close all the way to its stop? Also check for a bent or sloppy air control. It should be flush with the bottom of the stove.

gdk84 said:
So anyway, my question is I was told that the Excel damper can either be used fully open or fully shut and not partially closed. Is this true and does anyone have any experience using a damper on a Super 27 or T5?

This is the flue damper we are speaking of here right? If so, they don't have an on/off switch, they can be put from wide open to fully closed, even though fully closed is NOT really fully closed. They usually have holes in them.

shawneyboy said:
gdk84 said:
So anyway, my question is I was told that the Excel damper can either be used fully open or fully shut and not partially closed. Is this true and does anyone have any experience using a damper on a Super 27 or T5?

This is the flue damper we are speaking of here right? If so, they don't have an on/off switch, they can be put from wude open to fully closed, even though fully closed is NOT really fully closed. They usually have holes in them.
Exactly, so why "Excel damper can either be used fully open or fully shut and not partially closed"?

tfdchief said:
Exactly, so why "Excel damper can either be used fully open or fully shut and not partially closed"?

Apparently whomever told the OP so was ill-informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.