Chimney liner glowing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

haddenjriley

Nov 27, 2023
Ohio
I just installed a new chimney liner for my woodstove in my basement.

I have been burning on and off all day and was getting ready for bed and loaded up the box. I had the damper wide open and after 10 minutes, the liner started to glow red. I immediately shut it down Cut the air to the stove and after about 20 minutes the liner dim down, but I also noticed that the liner actually lifted up out of the stove Insert.

the adapter actually came out of the stove.
as anyone ever seen anything like this.? I feel like I just overloaded the box and it got extremely hot too quick. The metal expanded and lifted up out of the insert.

This is a brand new liner. I’m hoping it’s still functions properly if I don’t overheat it.

Any input would be helpful.

IMG_0347.jpeg IMG_0345.jpeg

The fire's air supply needs to be closed down sooner. The liner needs a proper appliance adapter that should be anchored to the stove body. Metal tape is not appropriate for this high temp location.

What stove is this?

The fire's air supply needs to be closed down sooner. The liner needs a proper appliance adapter that should be anchored to the stove body. Metal tape is not appropriate for this high temp location.

What stove is this?
The stove is an Appalachian 32. The adapter was in the stove but I believe from the high heat lifted from the stove. Would this be possible? Is there any adapter you know of or could recommend?

Yes, that's the right style to use. It has a band clamp to secure the liner, no tape needed and no screw holes in the liner. On Appalachian inserts, the appliance adapter needs an L bracket to secure it to the stove top.

Good question. Also, was the bypass closed when this happened?

One more thought, you mention basement install, How many feet of liner do you have? I am wondering if you have an excess amount of draft.
Yes, that's the right style to use. It has a band clamp to secure the liner, no tape needed and no screw holes in the liner. On Appalachian inserts, the appliance adapter needs an L bracket to secure it to the stove top.
OK yes I plan on getting a 15° or 30° elbow but I’m not sure what L bracket you are referring to?

I don't see a catalytic temperature gauge next to the damper handle, do you have a cat installed in this stove? Have you verified it still works?
Yes, I believe a catalytic is installed, but not sure how to tell if it’s working or not? Obviously you can tell. I’m pretty Green at this.

Good question. Also, was the bypass closed when this happened?
Bypass was wide open when this started happening. Once I saw it glowing I shut the bypass, closed it, and after about 10 minutes, the liner had stopped glowing, and the temperature dropped.

Yes, I believe a catalytic is installed, but not sure how to tell if it’s working or not? Obviously you can tell. I’m pretty Green at this.
The 32 is a pretty old stove, I am guessing this is new to you. Take a look at my old thread on the 52, it is pretty simular to yours, this will give you an idea of what to look for to see if you have a cat installed in yours:

Yes, I do believe I have a cat installed though I don’t see the temperature gage you were referring to ? What would be the main reason that my liner turned glowing red? Could it be that the bypassed damper was wide open for too long? I thought these liners were rated for like 12 to 1500°?

is this just a stove that I’m just gonna have to keep feeding a couple pieces of wood every two or three hours and not gonna be able to pack the box overnight?

Yes, I do believe I have a cat installed though I don’t see the temperature gage you were referring to ? What would be the main reason that my liner turned glowing red? Could it be that the bypassed damper was wide open for too long? I thought these liners were rated for like 12 to 1500°?
Yes, the bypass and air were open much too long. The liner is rated for 1000º sustanined with burst twice that, but only short bursts. Judging by the color, the linerwas well over 1000º. It can take that for short periods, but it does degrade it a little each time the temp gets up that high. Nothing should glow even dark red under normal use.

Now this is making sense, you should link to your previous thread about this: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/appalachian-32-bw-insert.201319/

You got the wrong part as you were told in that thread.

Read my thread on mine and that will give you an idea on how to operate yours and how to install a catalytic temp gauge, you will need that if you have cats in yours that work.

Now this is making sense, you should link to your previous thread about this: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/appalachian-32-bw-insert.201319/

Read my thread on mine and that will give you an idea on how to operate yours and how to install a catalytic temp gauge, you will need that if you have cats in yours that work.
I appreciate all the information. Just a couple more questions.

Attached are some pictures of the incident from last night looks like the liner seems OK I believe I’m gonna get a 30° elbow and this should help solve my problem as far as the adapter from the stove to the liner

You can see a slight picture of the cat, so it does look like I have a catalytic combustion installed. Again, not sure if it’s working properly or not but I will take better precaution when burning.

Also, it looks like there was a tiny screw right next to the bypass damper I took this out. Is this where the cat temperature gauge is to be installed.

Also In the pictures of the temp gauge you installed the probe looks long. All the cat temp gauges I see are only 2” long. Doesn’t the probe have to get close to the cat to work properly?

That’s because I had to squeeze it past the existing flue/ smoke shelf opening. Is this bad? Will it still work properly ?
You should have cut the damper out of the way. It will work for a while but those spots will be hot spots that will fail

Also In the pictures of the temp gauge you installed the probe looks long. All the cat temp gauges I see are only 2” long. Doesn’t the probe have to get close to the cat to work properly?
They come in a variety of lengths.