What is happening with my liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I recently got to clean my liner and found this. See the pictures.
I thought it's the creosote on the walls and tried to clean it up, but it just stayed the same.
I reached with my hand to check it out and found it was the the inner layer of liner sticking out. Like scales lifted up.
I've used this liner for 10 years now, burning 24/7 mostly in CT. It was one of those double-wall smooth liners that was not too expensive.
After installation, I found on this forum that I should have gone with professional heavy duty but it was too late.
Looking for advice from professionals if any action is required and on what is going on with the liner.

IMG_2366.jpeg IMG_2367.jpeg IMG_2365.jpeg IMG_2368.jpeg IMG_2362.jpeg IMG_2363.jpeg IMG_2361.jpeg

It's failing, but a good illustration of why we discourage installing them. Is there a long warranty on it?

No warranty. As many people, we thought Insert was going to be a decoration with fire on weekends. Ended up addicted and burning 24/7.
How long a can use it in this condition and when the replacement is a must?

Sorry to see this happening. Maybe get through the season and call for a good reputable company to install a heavy wall liner with insulation. I’m in CT and know that there are some goofballs out there. Feel free to PM me and I can give you a recommendation. I can also tell you who to avoid as well depending on where you are in the state. I’m in southeast CT.

No warranty. As many people, we thought Insert was going to be a decoration with fire on weekends. Ended up addicted and burning 24/7.
How long a can use it in this condition and when the replacement is a must?
It’s failed, so essentially your rolling the dice every time you have a fire going

It’s failed, so essentially your rolling the dice every time you have a fire going
Hopefully will survive the rest of the season. Its double-ply and insulated if it matters in this situation

Hopefully will survive the rest of the season. Its double-ply and insulated if it matters in this situation
The double ply is why it failed. I wouldn't use it if it was in my house

Reactions: kcmclellan
The double ply is why it failed. I wouldn't use it if it was in my house
Do you think it’s unsafe to use it for the rest of the season ? Thanks

Your not saving much y continuing t use it. It needs replacing. Put and order in for it’s replacement ASAP. Get and insulation kit too.

A medium weight, .010 liner will work well and will be easier to find.

We use the same liner but from a manufacturer in Indy. I’m curious if they make liners for other people like Olympia. I’m assuming they do

Your not saving much y continuing t use it. It needs replacing. Put and order in for it’s replacement ASAP. Get and insulation kit too.
It's not about saving money. I want to take time and do it right. We are burning 24/7 and it would be an inconvenience. And the weather at the moment is atrocious. Not a good time to be on a roof.

A medium weight, .010 liner will work well and will be easier to find.
Asking for advice. I need just a 15' liner. With this length, the pre-insulated liner comes almost to the same price point. Speaking of insulating properties. Is a preinsulated liner more effective than a 1/2 blanket? Thanks

Is it safe to use for the rest of the winter? Probably. You probably have a 99% chance that you burn the rest of the winter without an issue. If your ok with a 1% chance of burning your house down then keep using it.

Asking for advice. I need just a 15' liner. With this length, the pre-insulated liner comes almost to the same price point. Speaking of insulating properties. Is a preinsulated liner more effective than a 1/2 blanket? Thanks
Pretty sure both the insulated and pre-insulated give you the zero clearance needed when in a masonry chimney. I don’t think there’s any additional positives past that. The preinsulated is light wall though. I believe the pre-insulated is not as bendable in the even you have offsets in the chimney.

It will work. I think the pre-insulated has a thinner inner wall. Check first if this is important to you. By putting on the blanket you can choose the weight of the liner. Or another option is the rigid, pre-insulated DuraLiner system if it's a straight-shot down.

It will work. I think the pre-insulated has a thinner inner wall. Check first if this is important to you. By putting on the blanket you can choose the weight of the liner. Or another option is the rigid, pre-insulated DuraLiner system if it's a straight-shot down.
Is upgrading to 316 worth it? I'm in Northeast, CT.

Damn, I wish I would have seen this 6 months ago. I just put that in! :( Doesn't look that smooth after all.

As well, why is nobody commenting that the liner is installed upside down, assuming that the pictures are taken from the bottom looking up?

Damn, I wish I would have seen this 6 months ago. I just put that in! :( Doesn't look that smooth after all.

As well, why is nobody commenting that the liner is installed upside down, assuming that the pictures are taken from the bottom looking up?
Nope the last pic you can see the top plate and cap. It's top down and correct

Reactions: TomasB