Questions about installing a new woodstove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumme

Dec 14, 2008
arkansas
I ordered a Napoleon 1900 p today. I want to install this in my living room but dont want to run the stovepipe vertically thru my living room ceiling and thru the outside roof. So I will have to use to 90 degree elbows to make a horizontal run out my brick wall and then up on the outside of my house.

Is there a recomeended length of stovepipe I should use coming off of my stove , inside the house, before I put on the 90 degree elbow to route the pipe thru my inside wall to the outside and does the outside pipe for my chimney , that will run up the side of my house outside, have to go up and over my roof ?

I would run as much as possible inside, almost up to the required ceiling clearance. Cold chimneys collect more creosote and don't draft as well.
The height outside depends on the roof pitch and any other surrounding parts of the building. The top of the chimney must be at least 2’ higher than
any part of the structure that is within 10 feet of the chimney and a minimum 3 feet high measured from where it passes through the roof.

Check your manual. Manufacturers give the minimum clearance to the wall. You must go by that. Also, when you install the horizontal section, be sure it has a minimum of 1/4" rise per foot and not level.

Ours runs 18" to the thimble and closer to 1/2" rise per foot. Then the thimble goes into a tee rather than an elbow (this allows us to clean from the ground) and then straight up. And like Brian wrote, "The top of the chimney must be at least 2’ higher than any part of the structure that is within 10 feet of the chimney and a minimum 3 feet high measured from where it passes through the roof."

I don't know your setup but by adding those elbows I think you need to make sure you have enough vertical run for the draw. Adding elbows reduces that draw. I'm not an expert by any measure, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but have heard lots of people with problems after using a few elbows because they didn't make their length longer to accommodate for the reduced draw.

Status
Not open for further replies.