Questions about my quote

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

youngs.101019

May 25, 2021
Cleveland, OH
Hello,
I live in a suburb of Cleveland, OH and am about to move into a new (to me) home. I had a chimney inspection this morning and they found three cracks in terra cotta tiles, noted that my damper is broken, and that my smoke chamber is defective. They recommended that we install a stainless steel liner, a damper cap, and to fix the smoke chamber. They quoted me $8,000 for the installation.

Does this price seem reasonable?

Thanks for the help!

To me that's about in the ball park--quite a lot of money and I just spent quite a lot just making a back open porch area into a stove room and the stove alone was about 2,000 dollars plus the installaion was a few thousand more and this is just a wood stove that I liked and bought it only for emergencies in case everything goes the wrong way like the Texas freeze of last year..There are much more experience people on here they might help you figure out this quote you received and like you I am sure it is "outrageous" in my opinion but it sounds like the going quotes out there to me. Mrs clancey

Hello,
I live in a suburb of Cleveland, OH and am about to move into a new (to me) home. I had a chimney inspection this morning and they found three cracks in terra cotta tiles, noted that my damper is broken, and that my smoke chamber is defective. They recommended that we install a stainless steel liner, a damper cap, and to fix the smoke chamber. They quoted me $8,000 for the installation.

Does this price seem reasonable?

Thanks for the help!
It really depends upon the height of the chimney size of the liner ammout of work needed on the smoke chamber type of liner used etc. It is on the higher end of the price range but could be perfectly reasonable. But without allot more info it's hard to say

I will say you may want to consider going with an insert in the fireplace instead of spending all that money on a fireplace that is really only for aesthetics. An insert can actually heat your house

It really depends upon the height of the chimney size of the liner ammout of work needed on the smoke chamber type of liner used etc. It is on the higher end of the price range but could be perfectly reasonable. But without allot more info it's hard to say
It is a 20 foot chimney. They quoted for a 10"x10"x22' liner.

Thanks for the help!

It is a 20 foot chimney. They quoted for a 10"x10"x22' liner.

Thanks for the help!
What kind of liner? Insulated? Clay liners removed or not?