Questions~ Fireview Soapstone Refurbish Recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thoughtsfromjules

Jan 3, 2019
Eastern Oregon
We bought a used Fireview stove a couple years ago for $800 and I think we are finally ready to get it ready to install! We live in Eastern Oregon and we plan to install in our manufactured home, we will be calling Woodstock to order the fresh air kit and chimney heat shield (it already had a rear heat shield on it) plus whatever other parts we find it needs. It appears to have a ceramic cat in it right now, but from what I read it would be a good idea to replace this with a new one.

We will need to repaint it as is seems like someone sprayed some type of preservative on it to keep it from rusting in storage? We aren't sure exactly what they used or how to remove it. They said it was something a local woodstove dealer recommended to use. This picture is on the day we bought it, it is now dustier and there is a small amount of surface rust along the bottom edge on one corner (but the stove has been stored in our dry shop since we bought it, the only thing we can think of that could have gotten the stove wet is a dang feral cat that likes to spray around our place might have gotten locked in the shop overnight once or twice?). Anyway, it will likely need stripped and repainted, how best do we go about this? I know we need to use high heat paint when it is time to repaint it. Is there a good tutorial on rebuilding these stoves? What all to be looking at as far as rehabbing it back to a nice finish on the outside as well as make sure insides are in good working order.

I have been searching all over and I haven't found much info on actually redoing them, but I just keep reading more and more great stuff about the Fireview stoves so I am even more excited to get it up and burning!
11700906_10207669306077498_745229666194815966_o.jpg

In general, I'd like to know when someone would use stove polish vs high temp paint. I've used both - just don't know the difference.

In general, I'd like to know when someone would use stove polish vs high temp paint. I've used both - just don't know the difference.
Personally I don't really see any reason to use stove polish. Unless the stove has been polished and you don't feel like stripping it back.

I would call Woodstock, they're very helpful and could tell you everything you need to know.

Reactions: Dug8498
I think the stone also has type of oil on it. With the stove polish on the iron and some type of oil on the stone you may be in for some hard work. Without scratching up the stone I don’t know how to strip the stove polish.

Maybe I should have started a different thread and don't mean to hijack. My question has to do with the differences between these two methods of applying black to cast iron. I assume paint stays more on the surface, black stove polish soaks in? I just don't know when is the right time to use one or the other of these products.

The stove may have been oiled down. Maybe burn it for a season as is to bake off the oils?

Mask the stone, wirebrush the metal work then wipe it with acetone, let dry, then with alcohol. Hopefully that will remove the residues. Woodstock uses StoveBrite paint on their stoves. I would not use stovepolish. It goes dull quickly and builds up a residue that has to be removed before it can be painted.

I refinished this Fireview over the summer, I used Stove Bright Metallic Blue.
You can use 00 steel wool to buff out any scratches in the stone. It makes the stone look new if you spend a little time on it.

Attachments

• A160D7FE-DED9-444C-85FA-B8AE8FDAF3E3.jpeg
    A160D7FE-DED9-444C-85FA-B8AE8FDAF3E3.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 289
Reactions: begreen
That came out very nicely. Did you brush or spray paint?

I refinished this Fireview over the summer
Stunningly beautiful. My bottle of stove polish that I never used will be applied to (what's left of) my hair. "Stove Polish Chic Magnet". Unfortunately, chic magnet in Vermont means chickens.

Reactions: webby3650
Stunningly beautiful.
At the end of 2010 I was running out of time to get under the wire for the federal tax rebate. I wanted the Keystone in charcoal but all they had was metallic blue so I grabbed it. Boy, am I glad I did! ==c

Reactions: webby3650
I wanted the Keystone in charcoal
One year I went to the Woodstock factory picnic and they had 5 Progress stoves in line, each with a different color. Mine at home was the charcoal. If I had a "do over" it would have been Metallic grey, light and airy for a 700 lb stove.

One year I went to the Woodstock factory picnic and they had 5 Progress stoves in line, each with a different color. Mine at home was the charcoal. If I had a "do over" it would have been Metallic grey, light and airy for a 700 lb stove.
It only takes a few hours to mask it off and repaint it.

I was lukewarm to the blue when I ordered, just looking at the colors online. I thought it would look like webby's pic, which it did when I opened the crate. But once it burned in, it ended up being more of a gray than a blue.