1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Questions from my first few fires of the season

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by hilly, Oct 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hilly

hilly Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    I got a Regency i2400 insert in March and had a few good months with it and now I have a few questions.

1) If you don't see smoke coming out of your chimney can you assume that there isn't much creosote being built up? This is of course assuming that you have a fire going!

2) When I had my chimney swept in the summer (no chance I would do it, the roof is steep and the sweep had to remove a 24x24 concrete stepping stone to put his brushes down) he noticed that the stainless steel top that covered the liner wasn't really doing anything (because the big concrete cap protects the opening) so he removed it. Could this have helped my draft because it seems much better this year? The chimney is about a 25' interior chimney that is lined with a ss flex liner.

Any thoughts would be great!
    And thanks for the help with all my other questions over the past few months!

Hilly.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dave_1

Dave_1 New Member

Hilly,

1) Yes.

?!?!

If I understand you correctly this 24x24 concrete stone was sitting atop the chimney & yet you could run the heater last year???

Dave
  3. bruce56bb

bruce56bb New Member

Loc:
    Flint Hills of Kansas
    i'm betting his concrete cap was elevated above the chimney. i had one also that had to be removed to allow my liner to be installed.
  4. Dave_1

Dave_1 New Member

Bruce,

I'm with you, just wanted to be sure that was in fact the case. ;-)

Dave
  5. hilly

hilly Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Yes, Bruce is correct otherwise it would have been a bit smokey in the house! Or maybe it could work like one of those rain covers that cover diesel exhausts. When enough pressure builds up it opens up!
  6. Dave_1

Dave_1 New Member

Agreed! :lol:

That would be some trick swinging 24 x 24 concrete open! :lol:

Anyway, good to see that you got your heater operation well under control.

Dave
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.