Questions on newer stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Osage

Feeling the Heat
Nov 3, 2011
kansas
Have been researching on this site about burning newer stoves. We currently have a 30+ year old Earthstove. Would like to update next season. However I have noticed that it seems to be the consensus that you need to burn the newer stoves at around 500 deg. or more to get the efficiency out of them.
If I burn our Earthstove at that temp. it would run us out of the house. I realize that our old stove makes alot of creosote burning at lower temps., but I can get 12 hr burns that way. We are gone that many hrs during the day.
Is it necessary to run the newer stoves at that high of temp? If so I would have to go to a smaller stove, which I do not really want to, because of the firebox size. We heat about 1200 sq. Ft.
Thanks for the help.

I am guessing your earth stove does not have a cat in it. If you want slow and low look for a stove that uses a catalytic unit for slow low fires that can go for 24 hours.

Two different kinds of technology for high efficiency reburn, one uses secondary air and needs to be run at higher temps, the other uses a cat to burn the smoke and make heat at lower temps.

It depends on the stove bikerz. Evidently some stoves need to run at that temperature but not all stoves are that way. So far I've only seen this on the non-cat stoves. On our cat stove, we burn whatever the weather calls for. If we need maximum heat then we'll load the stove right up and run it at 600+ degrees peak. If not, we will run the stove anywhere from, say, 350-500. Generally I've seen no need to run the stove any cooler than that as if you need some heat, under 350 won't help a whole lot but from that temperature and up, you get good benefit of the heat to the whole house.

Have to keep firebox temp up in a non-cat stove to support secondary combustion. The catalyic combustor takes care of secondary combustion in a cat stove. Once the cat is hot enough to light off, you can cut the primary air back to a smoldering burn, but still burn clean. Or let it rip if you need to.

bikerz-what is your house like-size- insulated-stove is in what sized room?

Hey Bikerz, I'm also curious why you want a new stove. Is your old stove damaged or not performing as it once did? Either way good luck in your journey.

oldspark said:
bikerz-what is your house like-size- insulated-stove is in what sized room?

We are heating about 1200 sq. ft. The stove is in the living room which is about 350 sq. ft. House is insulated. However windows are not the best.

DaFattKidd said:
Hey Bikerz, I'm also curious why you want a new stove. Is your old stove damaged or not performing as it once did? Either way good luck in your journey.
Stove still performs great. Has some minor stress cracks. Would like to see the fire and burn a little less wood during the season.

I'd look at a biggish stove with a catalytic burner. That way you can load a bunch of wood but smoulder it for a long time and the cat will make all that smoke into heat. I don't have a cat stove but those guys who do get nice long burns. My small non-catalytic EPA stove is nice too, but I am home alot so reloading isn't a problem for me.

You need good dry wood for an EPA-compliant stove but there aren't any trees in Kansas, so wood could be a problem for you.

bikerz said:
DaFattKidd said:
Stove still performs great. Has some minor stress cracks. Would like to see the fire and burn a little less wood during the season.

Ok. Sounds good. Well it sounds like you really have a ton of options. Wood Duck has a good point about the cat stove. But with 1200 sf in a milder climate you really have a ton of stoves to choose from. Budget will determine a lot. Have you decided on a budget? What size chimney does your existing stove have? Maybe we can help you narrow down your options.

[del][[del]quote[del] author="Wood Duck" date="1324023759"]I'd look at a biggish stove with a catalytic burner. That way you can load a bunch of wood but smoulder it for a long time and the cat will make all that smoke into heat. I don't have a cat stove but those guys who do get nice long burns. My small non-catalytic EPA stove is nice too, but I am home alot so reloading isn't a problem for me.[/del][quote[/del]][/del][/b
]You need good dry wood for an EPA-compliant stove but there aren't any trees in Kansas, so wood could be a problem for you.
[/quote]
[/quote]Well---------------------- I did forget to say that we are burning Prairie Coal, and yes it needs to be cured. Tried green but the buckets to keep it in take up alot of space and you have to be careful when pouring it in the stove or you will put out the fire, but the aroma :eek:hh: . However no need for saw. Just tie it to the buffalo's tail and harvest at night we they are asleep!

DaFattKidd said:
bikerz said:
DaFattKidd said:

Ok. Sounds good. Well it sounds like you really have a ton of options. Wooduck has a good point about the cat stove. But with 1200 sf in a milder climate you really have a ton of stoves to choose from. Budget will determine a lot. Have you decided on a budget? What size chimney does your existing stove have? Maybe we can help you narrow down your options.

As far as budget we would buy what we like. currently have an 8" flu. As far as mild climate, have seen 27deg. below, and also 0 deg and 40 mph wind, so yea it's a mild climate in good old Kansas.

Holy crap! I stand corrected.

bikerz said:
Well---------------------- I did forget to say that we are burning Prairie Coal, and yes it needs to be cured. Tried green but the buckets to keep it in take up alot of space and you have to be careful when pouring it in the stove or you will put out the fire, but the aroma :eek:hh: . However no need for saw. Just tie it to the buffalo's tail and harvest at night we they are asleep!

I can't figure out if this is meant to be a joke or you are for real. :-/ If you are for real I know you can't burn poop in a cat stove. I do not know how a secondary air stove would handle off gassing from poop.

mellow said:
bikerz said:
Well---------------------- I did forget to say that we are burning Prairie Coal, and yes it needs to be cured. Tried green but the buckets to keep it in take up alot of space and you have to be careful when pouring it in the stove or you will put out the fire, but the aroma :eek:hh: . However no need for saw. Just tie it to the buffalo's tail and harvest at night we they are asleep!

I can't figure out if this is meant to be a joke or you are for real. :-/ If you are for real I know you can't burn poop in a cat stove. I do not know how a secondary air stove would handle off gassing from poop.
:lol: Pouring poop out of a bucket should give you an idea.

mellow said:
bikerz said:

Yea the off gassing is a problem. That is why it is necessary to burn dried poop. That way if there is any off gassing it would be kinda like a pop corn fart. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.