Quick hearth Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bad69bird

Oct 7, 2011
New London Pa
Building a hearth based on the Recomendations in the wood stock keystone stove manual. 3/4 plywood base, 1/2in durock and then slate. Have two questions I have a seam wear two sheets of durock meet. Do I need to seal them with anything to for safety or can I just mortar and tile over that second, Can I run a screw done through the durock to secure to sub flooring, I thought I read somewhere that was not a good idea Possible heat transfer through screw. if i can do that how do i secure the durock to the plywood base or is it not nesscary to do so

You're fine. No need to seal the seam between the sheets with anything but thinset when setting the tiles. You can screw the sheet through to the subfloor or screw the plywood to the subfloor then screw the durock to the plywood.

Building a hearth based on the Recomendations in the wood stock keystone stove manual. 3/4 plywood base, 1/2in durock and then slate. Have two questions I have a seam wear two sheets of durock meet. Do I need to seal them with anything to for safety or can I just mortar and tile over that second, Can I run a screw done through the durock to secure to sub flooring, I thought I read somewhere that was not a good idea Possible heat transfer through screw. if i can do that how do i secure the durock to the plywood base or is it not nesscary to do so

This sounds almost exactly like my own installation . . . except for an Oslo, not a Keystone. I went with the plywood base, 1/2 inch of Durock and then slate tiles.

Where I had two sheets of Durock butting up together I used some self-sticking mesh tape that you can purchase in the same general area of the mortar/thinset/etc. and then just used thinset over the joint when I put down the slate tiles.

I also used the Durock screws to secure the Durock to the plywood . . . I cannot remember if I also screwed the plywood to the floor or not.

What I do know is pretty true with the Oslo . . . and may or may not be true with the Keystone . . . is that there is not a whole lot of heat radiating down from underneath the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.