Quick Question about Inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ParanoiA

I was advised that inserts could be what I'm looking for, since I enjoy the radiance of a fire but also would like to enjoy better efficiency when utility takes precedence.

So, is it ok to use with the doors open? I read that this can cause too much heat in a wood stove and possibly cause a chimney fire or "red flue". So, I'm wondering if that's also true with an insert.

Also, I read you have to use a smaller diameter flue than a typical chimney stack. Can you simply run the flue up inside the chimney stack?

Running a modern stove with the doors open (other than at startup) will cause too much combustion air to be drawn in and could lead to overfiring (or red flue as you put it).

However...
Some stove makers do allow for this and sell a fitted screen to use with the doors open. My unit does not, but I'm told that QF does do this for the free standing stoves.
After you get adjusted to the temperature and burn cycle of the stove, you could probably open the doors at the later stages of fire.
Warning:: In the case of my stove/chimney, a bit of smokey smell is evident whenever the door is open. Not a big deal, but if I had a screen I wouldn't use it.
Voice of insert experience: Get the insert; I predict you will love it.

An insert is fine if you install it with a stainless steel liner from bottom to the top of the chimney. Get one like the one you see in my avatar and you will soon discover that you don`t need the door open to enjoy the ambience of a nice fire. Mine has an extra large viewing window, and the secondary burn is something to behold.

Oh, and the added bonus of course is the heat produced from that new addition to your home decor. :)

This is our third season with an insert. When we bought, we also asked about burning with the door open for that 'fireplace' ambiance. So far, we've never burned with the door open. With a big window, you see the fire just fine. Yes, you mostly lose the crackling. But it kicks out a ton of heat, instead of sending it all up the chimney. We have a lot more fires with the insert than we would without one. The dealer carries a screen for our stove (a Lopi), I'm glad we didn't buy it, because we wouldn't use it.

We have the screen for our regency i2400....wife was concerned when we removed the fireplace that we'd lose that ambiance of a fire...we've used it one time and especially as it gets colder - this thing is going to get about no use. I can see it being used - early fall, late spring when the need for heat isnt as necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.