1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

quick sharpening question----brand

Post in 'The Gear' started by joel95ex, Jan 6, 2011.

1. joel95ex

joel95ex Member

Loc:
    NE TX
    If you have the correct size file does the brand of guide(are the angles and depth of file position the same) and gauge matter or are they pretty much the same. the stihl dealer is kinda outa the way but oregon and husky files are everywhere...thanks!!!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    if the file is right size your good to go angles are the same.
  3. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    Sometimes file guides need to be used with a particular brand of chain. It's not just the angles--the file guide may set the file too deep/shallow into the tooth gullet. Other guides, such as the File-O-Plate (FOP) sometimes need to be altered to work with different bands of chain. There are even different FOP's for chisel and semi-chisel chain.

I've used Oregon, PFerd, and Stihl files in Oregon file guides on Oregon chain without issue; however, I've never tried using an Oregon file guide on Stihl chain. I do know that the harder Stihl files have a reputation for lasting a longer when filing the harder Stihl chain.