Quote: I only burn two cords a year.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, you can burn your "whore pine" next year with no issues . . . I typically burn some pine (or other softwood) in the Fall and Spring when you just need a quick, hot fire to take the chill out of the home when it gets cool in the evening (and you know it will get warmer later so you don't necessarily want a long lasting fire that will bake you out of the home.) Also, pine makes a great fire starter as you no doubt know.

pine = creosote is nothing but an urban legend. It gets that reputation because you have so many people who burn wet hardwood that get years of creosote buildup ... then they get some pine that burns hot from the sap and that sets off a chimney fire from the existing buildup. So it gets a reputation for causing chimney fires that has nothing to do with the pine itself.

Its been proven - in fact a member here once posted a research study done by some university forestry school with the details - that hardwoods actually cause more creosote buildup then pine, especially when burned wet.

I was talking with a gentleman yesterday while I was picking up some pallets, and over the course of the conversation he said he would never burn pine again. Why? Because his garage burned down because of it! I tried to tell him that pine was as good as any other wood out there though be it a softwood, but he stuck to his guns saying he will only burn hardwoods. I told him all I burned last winter was mostly pine and poplar without a problem, but he insisted it was the creosote from the pine that caused the fire. I tried to tell him otherwise but by that point he wasn't listening to a word I said. I suppose when you live in an area where there are plenty of hardwoods available, you'd chose that over pine, but on the west coast, it's another story where the various pines are prevalent. They're not burning their homes or garages down!

Personally, I love pine and wouldn't mind having a lot more of it. I just need to figure another spot to stack it. This year I'll be stuck burning chestnut oak, black birch, black locust, hickory, and cherry 3 plus years seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.