R-value insulation..HELP!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Hearth Supporter
Jun 19, 2008
NY
The hearth I sat my stove on meets the 2.5 required r-value but does not come out far enough into the room.
I'm building a addition to the hearth that will be in front of the stove not under it. The Stove manual says I need an r-value of 2.5 for this part also. Now I have metal studs to frame out a box about 18x36 that needs to be placed in front of the hearth the stove is sitting on. Im using a backer board to enclose the box and Then im going to tile the top and sides to match my hearth. Now what do I need to fill the box with to get to the 2.5 r value. I was thinking rock wool? but I cant find it at Lowes or Home depot unless Im looking in the wrong spot. Can I use regular Pink panther type Insulation Since it says it has an r value of 13???

I just thought of something else.

I was going to use Durock but its heavy and a pain to cut. Can I use a fiber board instead like hardy board?
Will this meet the heat requirement?

Im giving this a bump I would like to get an answer soon since I wanted to start this project in the morning and was planning on trying to buy the supplies after dinner tonight.

Hey Andy,

You must have the homestead with the 6 inch legs and the bottom heatshield (like me) for the R 2.5.

I was going to do something silmilar to what you are doing with slate, but I ended up buying a premade hearth pad and put it right over my original fireplace hearth (which was too small).

This chart will help you get to R 2.5. I love this guy's site and would use his shop if I lived in WA state.
http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/horvalue.htm

Don't use fiberglass insulation . . . when I researched this, I was told that it's considered combustible for the stove's temp. I note that rockwool is not listed on the chart.

Good luck, the homestead is a nice medium sized stove . . . I'm currently burning what's left of last year's pallets in it now.

Read your stove's manual. There is a section in there with a table that applies perfectly to your situation. You could do like I did and fill the space between those studs with ... air. Air is a great insulator.

Right - air might be the perfect insulator in this case. Maybe suspend a piece of sheet metal 1/2 way up between the studs (like a pan)....that will give you two air spaces plus the 2 or so layers of cement board on top (usually needed to make it strong)....that would do the job,.

I might have to go with air. I cant find Mineral wool anywhere and Ceramic fiber board is also almost impossible to find locally. I dont know where else to try. I have one last place I want to call in the morning. Its a masonry Yard that sells fireplace supplies.

By all means use a pure cement board like Wonderboard or Durock. It's not that bad to cut. Just score it deeply with a utility knife on both sides, then snap it at the score line. It will break cleanly.

I found Mineral wool!!!

If anyone on Long Island is looking for it. Riverhead Building Supply has it. and it was only 30 bucks

Now I have everything I need. Wed Night is the Night I get to work on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.