rain cap question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
plan to purchase the Magnaflex liner kit this week but i have a ?? regarding the rain cap kit

my clay flue lining (12*8) sticks out a foot or two above the actual chimney - but when i saw the rain cap kit it's flat and looks like it should sit on the bricks of the chimney

does this mean i have to cut the clay flue lined part to size of the bricks of the chimney so the flat part that rain cap mounts flush with the chimney brick

Steve,how are you.No you dont have to cut the flue you glue the cap to the flue
with high temp silicone sealant.

doing great Thanks :)

ok so you just mount the big flat stainless plate that the cap attaches to directly to the clay flue

You can take the flat plate and cut it to size and put a 1" break around it also. Just helps it stay in place a little better with the silicone.

makes sence - Thanks guys!!

JTP is right on the money ;-)

Remember I said it it sat on a extended flue I would 45 degee the corners and bens an extra over the sides of the flue and silicone it into place or tapcon it

elkimmeg said:
Remember I said it it sat on a extended flue I would 45 degee the corners and bens an extra over the sides of the flue and silicone it into place or tapcon it

must of had too many bass' saturday night and forgot ;) BUT it makes perfect sense - looking at my chimney yesterday - noticed it must have been rebuild at one time because the smoke shelf bricks are diffent however there is a crack down it (right though the middle of bricks) so i wont have the "dead" air space we talked about

elkimmeg said:
Hey ELK PAT"S kicked a-- yesteday ha. :coolgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.