Rain on install day....yikes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Will it get installed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

Will they still install the castine or will this push me back a couple weeks?

My stove was installed in the rain last year.

I voted no but I installed my liner, top plate, and rain cap in the rain with no trouble, other than getting drenched. But I work outside normally so it was nothing unusual for me. But giving the sorry state of customer service nowadays, probably a 8 and 10 chance your installer will use it as an excuse. Hope I'm wrong.

All I can say is, if they do it, greet them with something either hot or cold when it is finished!

Both, the kitchen and the living room installs were done in the rain. It wasn't a downpour. No thunder or lightning. But it was raining. As long as the conditions are safe, the install should take place.

Damn Rain!! Installers say they will not install in the rain, but will call me in the morning. :mad: Made a tentative install date for a week later, but it sucks because its supposeed to get real cold. Can't blame the installers cause I too wouldn't want to work out in the rain. Plan on taking my anger out on some rounds. :smirk:

If it's just rain, then it's no excuse. If it's storming, wind, lightning and such, then they have an argument. Last timed I checked I didn't melt when working in the rain...oh wait...that's today. It sure is a crappy day in Kentucky....

But back to my earlier post, I've found that just about with any place that I d business with, especially around here, customer service is non-existent. I had my Country Stove delivered last Friday. Was suppose to be there at 4. He didn't show up till 5:30. I had to pick my son up from Daycare by 5:30...it was fubar'ed from the start. And I kid you not, the owner of the shop came out with the delivery guy. The three of us got the stove in the house and angled into the fireplace opening and the owner looked at how tight the space I was working in and said "good luck" with a smirk and took off just as quick as he could. Nice.

I have had some "issues" with the company, and I will post my experience after all is said and done, to give my final opinion on the whole thing. Its a bit ridiculous for them not to come out.... after all its a 1 story, to cut costs I accepted the responsibility of flashing and finishing the roof aspect of it. But it is what it is. Semi fubared so far. I'll know for sure tomorrow morning. This is a good storm coming with some real cold temps therafter. -Brian

Bummer....but go easy on the guys. I'm assuming you've got a low pitch roof, but even so, you can't discount the real increased risk involved in climbing a ladder and working on a slope when everything is slippery and wet. Sure, I'd do it, and I have, but at least I had the incentive of my own selfish interests pushing me on. As much as you want your stove installed, and I certainly relate to that, I'm sure it would not be worth it to you to trade that for somebody slipping and injurying themselves. I'm predicting that your installers are a small operation, possibly with pretty high work comp premiums to meet, or possibly no insurance at all. The risk v. benefit equation is pretty stark when you talk about climbing up and on wet surfaces. Too, you don't want these guys to be in a hurry or possibly cut any corners. Here's something you already know: The #1 incentive and goal of a man working in the rain is to get the job done as quick as possible and get out of the rain.

Backwoods said:
Damn Rain!! Installers say they will not install in the rain, but will call me in the morning. :mad: Made a tentative install date for a week later, but it sucks because its supposeed to get real cold. Can't blame the installers cause I too wouldn't want to work out in the rain. Plan on taking my anger out on some rounds. :smirk:

It's barely raining over here. That's lame.

ploughboy said:
Bummer....but go easy on the guys. I'm assuming you've got a low pitch roof, but even so, you can't discount the real increased risk involved in climbing a ladder and working on a slope when everything is slippery and wet. Sure, I'd do it, and I have, but at least I had the incentive of my own selfish interests pushing me on. As much as you want your stove installed, and I certainly relate to that, I'm sure it would not be worth it to you to trade that for somebody slipping and injurying themselves. I'm predicting that your installers are a small operation, possibly with pretty high work comp premiums to meet, or possibly no insurance at all. The risk v. benefit equation is pretty stark when you talk about climbing up and on wet surfaces. Too, you don't want these guys to be in a hurry or possibly cut any corners. Here's something you already know: The #1 incentive and goal of a man working in the rain is to get the job done as quick as possible and get out of the rain.

I definitely hear you there. Although it is a flat roof, the dangers in climbing up and down ladders id too high. At least we have a tentative schedule planned for next week. Lows after the weekend low teens. Oh well. I'll have to settle for the oil furnace. :roll:

Hey, just a suggestion, but the risk v. benefit continuum can always be goosed by a little extra $. Have you thought about sweetening the deal to get it done quicker?

I spent enough on this gig. Pockets getting shallow especially with christmas coming. Good thought though. Who knows, maybe the rain will lighten tomorrow and it'll go through. Maybe mother nature will bless me knowing that I am going to be more "earth Friendly" now...burning cleanly. :cheese:

Here's hoping, yep. In your shoes, I'd just want to know that I could warm my toes on Christmas morning.....that would be blessing enough. Here in Alabama we had a pretty unusual run of wintery weather...snow + ice...on Christmas Eve last year. The power went out too. I'd just installed my stove and had a big stack of wood put up. I don't think I've ever been that pleased with myself. Just can't buy that degree of satisfaction easily, anywhere.

Your absolutely right. To have it by christmas alone would be priceless! I'm saving the yule log for that particular day. Just hope santa doesn't put the presents too close. And the cookies should be kept away. Don't want them burning...he'd be pissed.

Well everybody...you have to wait another week for install pics. Sorry

Like the man said, "Anything worth having....." Right?

ploughboy said:

ploughboy, I think you have hit on all 3 of the key issues here. +1 especially on the cutting corners and being in a hurry. For most contractors it's just another job and there will be another one tomorrow. There are a lot of things I can't do but the things I can or think I can, I do myself because it usually gets done better than hiring someone. Sometimes I can do something but I know I wan't it to look 'just so' and I have to hire someone because my skills aren't fine tuned enough.

I wouldn't be too upset. Just pray for sunshine next week. Especially this time of year.

I hear you Rusty. My wife knows that the #1 way to get me off the dime is to just say, "I'm going to call somebody and pay them to just do that....." By far, I figure I save more money and aggravation in the long run. A lot of it too is just my plain old fashioned Scots-Irish clanish secrecy. I don't want anybody knowing my business, or having access to my space if I can help it. I feel vulnerable when opening my home to complete strangers, especially of the stripe we now typically see in the trades. I have no way of knowing what some of these guys are capable of perpetrating, and I don't want to give them a chance to show me. There will come a day when my enthusiasm wanes to take on these kinds of things, but I'm not there yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.