Rais wood stove / Malta

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xyz

Oct 31, 2012
When I was reseaching the Rais wood stoves I did not find much info about them.

So, since I bought one I figured I would post an info thread here for any future prospective buyers.

Model: Rais / Malta

Where bought: Rocky Mountain Stove, Golden CO

Price: 4K w/ the optional soap stone top (comes standard with soap stone in "baking compartment".

Issues: Soap stone top did not match, it was a blue gray the other a white gray. Called up RMS, sent him some pics and returned it, they paid return shipping and gave me a refund.

Critique:

Since this install was a new stove in a new house with new pipe and new chimney it took five burns to burn off the smells, two medium and three hot. The sixth burn we had no smells.

We bought it for supplemental heat and ambience not primary heat. That being said it does heat up our huge great room with vaulted ceiling pretty good.

The air cooled handle does not get hot at all, can grab it after hours of burning.

It does have a smallish compartment and uses shorter lengths of wood.

Our decor is a mixture of old world/ Mediterranean/ southwest and even though this is considered a "contemporary stove" it fits well.

The Malta comes with an ash drawer and ash grate but it is pretty much useless. Much faster to just shovel or scoop the ash out or use a plastic bag to get the ash out.

Attachments

• fireplace.jpg
    fireplace.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 2,109
looks nice, thanks for the picture

Nice looking setup!

I've never heard of this company. So your post doesn't get lost with time maybe you could repost in the review section? It might really help somebody who is looking at your stove.

Matt

Thanks for the report. We have a Rais [they used to be Rais Wittus] we bought back around '92 or so. It is a much different model than yours, with a good-sized oven above the fire box area. For almost 20 yr. it served as our only oven. We moved that stove to another room and bought a different "kitchen" woodstove. However, the Rais is, I found, very well made. High quality materials, built with good attention to detail. Once heated up, ours keeps giving off heat long after the fire's gone out.

In our 21+ years of use, daily in the winter, we've had no negative issues with ours.

Thanks for posting and welcome. I've only seen a couple Rais stoves, but they were nicely designed heaters and did the job well.

Status
Not open for further replies.