1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

raising fireplace floor to hearth height using clay bricks?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Benchwrench, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Benchwrench

Benchwrench Member

Loc:
    State of Confusion
    Hi guys,

I have many questions regarding this new install even though finding a wealth of information using the search function here on Hearth.com, most posts date back to 2007.

I am in need of raising the floor of my masonry fireplace to the same height as the hearth so my insert will just s-l-i-d-e in place for this new insert install.
    The difference is the thickness of a brick, In other words my hearth is higher than the firebox by 2 1/4"

Locally all I could find were clay bricks that had 3 large holes in them. I need to lay them on their side so all the holes will be facing up.
    Is this adequate, this means having all these holes in clay brick used as a base to rest my new insert upon?
    OR should I keep looking for another store that sells solid core bricks?
    AND do they even need to be clay? Is "concrete" brick an option?

PS. I'll be posting some pictures of this install.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Benchwrench

Benchwrench Member

Loc:
    State of Confusion
    Furthermore; can I place a piece of sheet metal on top of the brick
    to possibly help in the positioning of the insert
    and ease of removal for maintenance?
    is this advisable?
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes and yes. The metal sheet will make it easier to slide the insert in. Also makes it easier to remove later on.
  4. Loco Gringo

Loco Gringo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western North Carolina
    Dude, that avatar is too much.
  5. delp

delp Member

Loc:
    pittsburgh, pa
    why not just pour some cement and make a level surface?
  6. Milton Findley

Milton Findley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Whitefish Bay, WI
    Because pouring cement in one's living room is not as simple, cheap, or easy as carrying in a few dozen bricks and laying them out? ;-)

Don't ask me how I know this.
  7. delp

delp Member

Loc:
    pittsburgh, pa
    Well, i won't ask, but I will tell that I did this (8 bags x 80lbs) this spring. It was not pretty, but was the best solution to my particular situation; and, was a solution that gestated right here on hearth.com....It sounds like the OP's situation consists of a much smaller area than I dealt with. With the right type of planning and preparation, almost any project can be tamed and contained. Regardless, I hope the OP finds the best and most enduring solution!
  8. woodchip

woodchip Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Broadstone England
    I did exactly this a year ago when we installed our stove, and had no problem at all.

I just carried 3 x 2 gallon buckets of wet concrete very carefully across our carpet (covered in a plastic sheet) and poured away.

All I'd say is I did it whilst Mrs woodchip was out at the shops, and it was all tidy before she got home ;-)
  9. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I'm surprised you can't source solid bricks in your area. If you use the metal it won't much matter, but if you choose to go w/out it would look much better being solid I would think.

pen