random thoughts about a just-installed Jotul F100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinokie

Hearth Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
OKC Ok
1. I self-installed the entire deal with no experience whatsoever and it wasn't too hard. The local stove shop that I ordered the stove through would have charged me $400. I was lucky in that I got a new roof installed just as I was ready to install the stove so the roofer installed the flashing. My installation was pretty simple - straight up from the top of the stove all the way through the roof with no bends at all, through about 70 inches of attic space and then a solid 40 inches above the roof line. I think I have a pretty good draft but I have no experience so that is just a guess.

2. Used Selkirk Supervent doublewall stovepipe and chimney, which I bought at Lowe's (of course they had to order some pieces but I was in no hurry and I am pretty sure I saved some decent money over practically any other source). Lowe's has a "kit" that includes the stove pipe adapter, ceiling support, attic insulation shield, roof flashing and rain cap all in one big box.

3. I bought a "stove board" from Lowe's for $50 and it has worked just fine. I was really worried about whether it would protect my wood floor adequately from the heat (it is very thin) but my stove shop assured me it was fine and sure enough the F100 with its bottom heat shield hardly warms the stove board up at all. Obviously it is there more for protection against hot embers falling out. The wall behind the stove does not get hot either - at all. Very reassuring as that was a big worry for me going in.

4. The only glitch in installation occurred when I tried to mate the stovepipe to the Jotul flue collar. It didn't match up at all, the pipe wouldn't slip over the collar. I called Selkirk and they were very helpful, directed me to an adaptor piece which they said was often needed for certain large flue collars. Ordered it online and a week later we got it and it worked fine.

5. Have been burning for a few days now. Went through the break-in procedure recommended by Jotul (3 small fires, each a little hotter). The third fire caused some smoke and fumes from the curing process as we passed the 400 degree F mark which really freaked me out (set off our smoke detectors in house and I couldn't tell exactly where the smoke was coming from but now I know it was just the surface of the stove - it did not smell like wood smoke, just fumey). The Jotul manual assured me this was normal and subsequent burning has been much better - less smelly and no more smoke.

6. We are having a hard time getting the stove to warm up hotter than 450 degrees (per the Jotul stove top thermometer). As a result the glass is getting very, very smoky. We are burning seasoned, split wood. We are leaving the air wide open most of the time (have played with it a little bit to see if choking it down a little would heat it up - no luck there).

7. Even though we aren't getting the stove very hot (the manual says peak performance/efficiency is in the 400-600 degree F range), it is doing a very good job heating our house (100 sq ft, not an open floorplan). We are running our "fan only" setting for our central heat/air at times to spread the heat around, but mainly placing a pedastal fan at the doorway to the hall which leads to the two rooms farthest from the stove and that does the trick.

It was a high of about 30 degrees today in OKC (from a low of -5 in the morning). Our gas furnace has not come on AT ALL from mid-morning until as I write here at 9:15 (19 degrees). Partner I am impressed. (On a side note we had an all time record low in Oklahoma this morning of -31 degrees in the northern reaches of the sooner state...it is pretty rare for the the temp to fall below zero around here a single time all winter).

8. I am concerned that my neighbors may be ticked off about the smoke which can get pretty noticeable outside - we'll see.

9. I split some western red cedar scrap lumber for kindling and it works absolutely great - starting the stove from cold was another big concern of mine but with those little cedar splits it is no problemo.

10. My biggest concern of all was a smoky house from opening the door of the stove to start it/refill it and to be honest my concerns were justified on this one. It doesn't really smoke up the house per se but it sure can get smoke on your hands/face/clothes if you don't open and fill and close door just right - and quickly.

I have followed the recommendations from Jotul and on this board concerning this issue (have air lever all the way open, open door slightly and wait a few seconds then slowly more just enough to refill) and all I can say is that it is a problem, which frustrates me a bit because everyone I talked to who had any experience with a stove said they had "no problem" with smoke. Oh heck no, they said, smoke was not a problem. Unless you don't mind smelling like a campfire all day every day, it IS a problem. I am hoping that with practice I can figure out a way to minimize this issue.

Can't answer the smoke issue but as far as temps go the top of the F100 ain't getting it for that. The lattice work casting let's too much air in under the thermometer. Put it on the side of the stove about 3/4 of the way up for a good reading of the stove temp.

I love burning in that little sucker and the view of the fire. The problem is that by the time it gets up to temp, the shoebox full of wood is gone.

And be sure if you ever take that baffle out to clean the pipe or the stove that you put it back in right. I went downstairs to my office one morning to find the baffle laying flat on top of smoldering coals. I had cleaned the chimney the day before and didn't set it back in there right. :red:

Enjoy that stove.

Thanks for that advice about the thermometer. I wondered if it was in the wrong place. Makes sense about the latticework, but I hadn't thought about that.

Any advice concerning why my glass is so sooty? It was my understanding that a hot fire would burn the glass clean.

I haven't tried to clean it yet manually, and was hoping it wouldn't be necessary very often with the hot fire "cleaning".

If the "sooty" is gray ash stuff that is just gonna happen. Everything in the stove is just too close to the glass. If it is black stuff then the fire just isn't hot enough. Which would be surprising because in that small firebox things get real hot real fast.

It is black. Maybe it is because in these early burns we have not been running the stove very hot (the smoky fumey experience with the third break-in fire scared the devil out of us).

Would you recommend leaving the air lever all the way open until the fire gets to, say, 500 degrees?

At that point would you then move the lever halfway closed?

Do you ever move the lever all the way to the left (closed)?

It all depends on your chimney and draft. The stove likes to burn at half to a quarter primary air open for me. Get it up to around four hundred degrees and close the air to half and see how that works. By then the secondary holes in the back should give ya a good show and the heat should rise some. If it does that means you have good dry wood and at five hundred or so close it down to a quarter and let'er do her thing.

The first thing you need to do is establish a coal bed. Burn some small stuff to get a bed of coals in the stove. Then load it full on top of the coals and do the above.

Black glass can often be a wood problem. How long has your wood been split and stacked? That could also be causing the smoke. The new Jotul stoves should really only blow smoke out the chimney when starting a fire or putting on a new load, and even then the smoking lasts justs a few minutes. Our chimney output is smokeless about 99% of the time when we are burning. This is due to the new EPA standards with stoves. Try cracking a nearby window before opening the stove door. You could have a pressure difference and need a better draft, the window will help. Another issue some people have had is being in a windy area where the pipe gets a decent downdraft coming down the stack. They make some weather sheilds for chimneys, but I dont have too much info on them. Plenty of people on these boards do though. Best of luck.

"...it is doing a very good job heating our house (100 sq ft, not an open floorplan)."

It should heat your house just fine, if it's really 10' x 10'! :)

In regard to your chimney, though, you say it's 40" above roofline. Not sure exactly what that means, but it needs to be a minimum of 36" above the point where it exits the roof, and 24" above any point on the roof which is within a 10-foot horizontal radius. If yours doesn't meet both of those, that may be contributing to poor draft, which can cause the smoking.

If your Lowe's stoveboard is covered in thin sheet metal, it's probably a Canadian-made Imperial board, which is Micore. Mine has an R-value of 1.1...not sure what the Jotul requires.

not to change subject here but I was also thinking about installing a Jotul stove myself. In the owners manual it says if the installation isn't done by someone certified that the waranty is void. Just wondering for myself as well as I like the Jotul 500 Oslo and would like to install it myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.