Range Road firewood processor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dquest

Dec 13, 2018
Ont,Can
Anyone have any thoughts on the range road line of processors. They are out of Alberta Canada.
I know they are made in China and was wondering what folks thought of the quality.

Thanks

Their quality...
Made in China should tell you everything.

Reactions: Bad LP and JimBear
Typically the problem with Chinese imports selling on price is that its probably a middleman importing them from a middleman. The middleman in China shops a set of plans around to multiple job shops for the lowest cost and they in turn shop subassemblies to job shops, that in turn sub sub assemblies ad infinitum. Initially the quality should be good as everyone in the chain wants the contract but once its sure thing they start figuring out how to cut corners to make money on components that they underbid. So even though they may look alike every shipment is going to have certain base level of quality that is going to degrade.

Grizzly wood working machinery was an early importer of wood working equipment from China, their claim to fame was they had a quality control person in China that QCed all the components. They also had a very liberal policy to supply parts when the originals failed. Most of the designs were knock offs of US brands but for many the price was right. This wiped the market out for many of the remaining US equipment makers and they ended up resorting to buying the same import stuff and putting their label on it.

It is interesting. I've been in contact with the factory and it appears range road didnt sell enough products to be exclusive here and thus there is no distributor so the factory will sell direct to an end user until a dealer is located.

The processor sells here for 10k with conveyor and log lift and it would be sigificantly cheaper shipped to a local port.

It seems they sell quite a number in Canada so was looking for feedback hopefully from someone that has one.

Thanks for the info

Seeing as you are in Ontario why not something a little
closer to home and Canadian made

Reactions: JimBear
Seeing as you are in Ontario why not something a little
closer to home and Canadian made
Yes. They are close to me.

Cant find a price online and any of the dealers dont have pricing either.

I'd also need to ad a conveyor and log lift as I'm doing this solo, and not a fan of B&G . Would like to see a command pro engine as standard at least.

Just my. 02 for the engine and I'll admit I haven't read too much on B&G other than comments here.

If you know of some pricing please share.

This is what I have.
they are built just around the corner from me
Fantastic splitter but not cheap

This is what I have.
they are built just around the corner from me
Fantastic splitter but not cheap
I have seen those but the basic splitter is very expensive.
Log lift comes in really expensive and a Canadian company that quotes in USD knows that they are expensive as well.

I have a wallenstein chipper that I got a good deal used on and would buy again but their processor starts at 15k.

Splitter with log lift is aroh d 5k

5 year warranty is nice tho.

I am only doing firewood for myself and am trying to balance time vs money.

I am on a farm and the time is better spent doing other things hence a processor that is affordable for the home owner.

And considering how much the dollar has fluctuated in the recent past selling in USD is like adding 10% to your price due to the dollar fluctuation.

Canadian company that quotes in USD knows that they are expensive as well.

Just talked to Andrew and the prices on the web site are in Canadian Dollars

Just talked to Andrew and the prices on the web site are in Canadian Dollars

Here is their page that I just went to and they are in US dollars but maybe they are updating.

I see nothing that says US dollars?

My mistake that page does show USD but if you go to each splitter
it will give you a price in Canadian Dollars
They are costly but it is the only one you will ever buy
I had one to try about 4 years ago wish I had been in a position to buy it
very fast and nothing stopped it

My mistake that page does show USD but if you go to each splitter
it will give you a price in Canadian Dollars
They are costly but it is the only one you will ever buy
I had one to try about 4 years ago wish I had been in a position to buy it
very fast and nothing stopped it
Yes they look very impressive. Wish I could afford a processor from them. So the Eastonmade Ultra is $5200 and the Blacks creek 1250 is $9500 base unit.

Sorry Jim Bear I wish I did own one but they are out of my price range
Just had one to try when he started to build his units and split away from the family company
Know him because he went to school with my son and they are friends
The Family Company is https://bellsmachining.com/ If you are into
firewood in a big way