1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Rapid Drying

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by hiker88, Oct 17, 2012.

1. hiker88

hiker88 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Central Maine
    I stacked some wood in an area that get's really direct sunlight early this spring.

We went into a stretch of pretty dry and hot weather in late June to early August I noticed something really particular with my wood pile. The front of the pile that got all the direct sunlight dried so fast that it quickly lost much more mass than the back of the pile. The pile began to curve over like a "C". Part of it fell over and I had to try my best to re stack the rest of the oddly shaped wood.

Is this common?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Waulie

Waulie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nothern Lower Michigan
    I run into a similiar thing. I stack two rows deep but leave about 6" between the rows. Where I stack is largely shaded but gets solid sun from about 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. The stacks are oriented E-W. After a while, the row to the south always ends up leaning towards the sun. The shaded row behind never does. I'm stacking them the same way, so I think you might be on the to something.
  3. mecreature

mecreature Minister of Fire

Loc:
    indiana
    I put space between my rows. That way they all fall over.
    This way I know when to move the wood to the shed.
    albert1029 and PapaDave like this.
  4. Jack Straw

Jack Straw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schoharie County, N Y
    Oh it happens, I was stacking my wood east/west with one side facing south and I was always having stacks fall over. Now I stack them north/south with better results.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Direct sunlight is good but in the long run, wind will dry the wood the best. We have never noticed the curve in a pile as you are describing. At present, we have some wood stacked in full sun and some in partial sun. The only thing we notice is the shrinkage. Typically we stack 4 1/2' high (in spring). By fall that stack is usually down to around 4' high.
  6. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    I noticed that after the first year.
    Happens to me, except mine don't fall.
    I started putting a slight northward lean to the stacks, so that they would eventually lean into the sun and sit up straight.
    Works pretty well.
    albert1029 likes this.