Ratcheting cargo bar adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
I purchased a cargo bar to go in my pickup truck bed. I can't get it to fit tight, I even tried a couple of shims of different thicknesses. Either it's too loose, and when I adjust it to be tight. I can't move the bar down to lock it to that length. Should there be some kind of fine adjustment? Looked at the instructions, nothing like that is mentioned. Based on the inexpensive price from a discount tool store, maybe I got what a paid for.

Not that I can see, nor are they mentioned with the manual. There is a phone number for 'technical questions'. I'll call that. But I have a feeling I won't get an expert. I did see another brand that twists to log in place, that seems more logical - but maybe not quite as secure as a ratchet that locks down. It's like the gear, or whatever it's called, should have more teeth for a more precise or fine adjustment.
I'll try it again tomorrow.
Cargo bar adj.JPG

in reality those are meant for cargo trucks and semi's where they have to ratchet them down tight. Probably what is happening with your truck is the bead is slightly deforming when you try to tighten it so when you are trying to get it to fit just right its getting to loose or to tight. I have never seen one of those in use on a pickup and know from experience they really do not have allot of fine tuning capability.

Yes that sounds logical. It was going to be used to hold a spare tire in bed, but there's 2 tie down rings in the back that can be used. Ideally the tire would be near the cab, but the factory rings would be more secure than the cargo bar. The winch to hold the spare broke.

ahhh yes have been there with the spare tire holders.. Now i usually remove mine and toss it in the shed and only put it in the truck when im traveling.

That is an option! Fortunately in a pinch my spare will fit in the space behind the front seats.

Depending on your model a spare tire winch is only $40-$50. You’ll have that in some decent straps.

Mine is a Gen 2 Tacoma, looks pretty straightforward to replace but currently the spare is on it, stuck. I guess the only way to free it is to cut the section on the plate under the tire where the cable is attached.

I’ve done several on GMs. They just have a single bolt holding them. And yes, it sucks cutting the old clamp loose to get the tire off. Better at home on your terms than the side of a road with a hacksaw blade.

Absolutely. And I relate to your name! No way is that bolt moving.

View attachment 322350
Is that a bolt or a compressed spring? If it’s just a bolt that should be even cheaper to replace than a failed winch.
I googled it. That’s not a bolt, it’s the end of the cable for your tire winch. If winch is stripped out and won’t lower then your only other option is to cut the cable or cut the bracket. Either makes the unit junk. I’ve found it easier to cut the bracket and let it fold back on itself and up through the tire. After tire is out of the way soak winch bolts in penetrating oil for a few days, shouldn’t be too much trouble to replace after you get access to it.

And the name…rusty shackelford was already taken so mine got shortened to rusty and the year.

Last edited:
I think both, the bolt is at the end of a compressed spring. Photos of a new winch show that. But what happened is I must have turned the lug nut wrench (in the spare tire kit to wind the winch) to tight and the socket that the rod inserts into broke off.

Probably can't get a reciprocating saw blade above the plate. Even if I could I don't know if it could cut the cable. The red line shows the part that broke off.

winch.JPG

That sucks. It does look like it bolts in from above. Any possibility you could unbolt the whole thing with the tire still attached? Probably end up being one of those deals you’d have to pull the bed to get to the bolts! :confused:

I had my moms 08 crew cab at my house this fall, worked on about everything but the spare tire…. Those are tough trucks.

Yep! Unfortunately I discovered the frame rust is worse than I thought. Maybe your mom was fortunate to qualify for the frame replacement program years ago. Without cutting the cable somehow probably the alternative would be to lift the bed.

It has been a great truck. I've used it for hauling firewood, did fine loaded up even though it's a 4 cylinder.

wood in truck4-23.jpg

No frame replacement for her but they did replace rear springs, shackles, and shocks as part of a recall. Frame is still in good shape…used synthetic motor oil/marvel mystery oil makes a nice sprayable blend…I’ve been told. ;)

Reactions: Stelcom66