1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Rate the best woodstoves?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by woodjack, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jpl1nh

jpl1nh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Newfields NH
    I've had neither, but from everything I've read here I'd say not twice as good. People love their Englanders and their Hearthstones. I always think as you move up the scale of development you get diminished financial returns but nonetheless I'd rank Hearthstone higher than Englanders all things considered. If you just want good reliable heat, I think Englander is one of the best values on the market.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Pizzaman

Pizzaman New Member

Loc:
    Ashburn, VA
    Great responses, guys. Burning Chunk mentioned that cast iron is in between steel and soapstone. I'm having trouble finding a cast iron piece in the $1500 area that gets good reviews. I think I'd probably rather spend the $2K on a Hearthstone (assuming I don't go Englander), if I can't find a well-rated insert in the $1500 range. Any suggestions for cast iron that I haven't discovered yet?
  3. _CY_

_CY_ Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Tulsa, OK
    most interesting to see what folks consider good, bad and great stoves
  4. bfunk13

bfunk13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wyoming
    Ahhh what the hell. Its gotta be my stove. Its 8 degrees outside, and 78 throughout the house.
    Gotta love it!

Attached Files:

5. bwolfe1

bwolfe1 Member

What if you owned all the stoves?
  6. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    Probably the Isle Royale. It's got the best looks, with its 3.0 CF firebox it heats equivalent to most of the really big stoves, Loads from the front or top, and has an ash pan. The only possible enhancements it could have are a cat or soapstone. The fireview WOULD fit in second place with its cat and soapstone, plus the fact that it's got pretty classic styling, but they have NO idea where to put a door on a wood stove. It's just nonsensical.

Even with all the ripoffs, they just can't seem to make another stove that looks as good as the IR. Double doors adds a LOT to aesthetics, and no one wants to make them.
  7. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Vozelgezangenheimer barrel. You can burn pillits in there.
  8. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Well I have four so I am getting there. :coolsmirk:

Five if you count the new Jotul gas stove still in the crate in storage. :lol:
  9. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    AP, what kind of burn times you get out of your American Standard? ;-)
  10. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    I don't like to brag, but with a Kohler unit and a steady diet of bratwurst/cabbage, we have no trouble
    achieving overnight burns. Not sure if this thread is headed for the assh can or It's a Gas.
  11. BJ64

BJ64 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Oklahoma
    Do you think the ash removal is the best feature on it?
  12. fullbore

fullbore New Member

Loc:
    Northeast PA
    I'm not sure if my quad 5700 is the best out there, but I would say... it's built like a Mack Truck. I also think it's hotter than a red Porsche. On the serious side, it really does put out a ridiculous amount of heat.
  13. Rugar

Rugar Member

Loc:
    East central KS
    I might get booted out for this one but I would want one that looked like Pamela Anderson. Poke some wood in her and get her real hot. House would be warm all night. Wait, forgot about the $3000 limit.

I'm sorry just couldn't resist.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.