Razor blade experience with stove glass?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thermal degradation.

Isn't that pretty much the same as the the hot plate in cold water crackage phenomenon? It's the coldness of the leaking air hitting the super hot ceramic that makes it snap, crackle, pop.

So??? Razor blade, then Rutlands? Or other non ammonia based glass cleaner? And that will keep it clean until the next low and slow burn? :)

Isn't that pretty much the same as the the hot plate in cold water crackage phenomenon? It's the coldness of the leaking air hitting the super hot ceramic that makes it snap, crackle, pop.

I believe so. I think that is supposed to be an advantage of the steel cats.

So??? Razor blade, then Rutlands? Or other non ammonia based glass cleaner? And that will keep it clean until the next low and slow burn? :)

Maybe. Mine is dirty all the time. It doesn't 'burn off with the next hot fire' for me. It will to some extent, but not the whole thing. The only time it is clean is in the summer. I got over it a long time ago.

Reactions: rdust
Mine is dirty all the time. It doesn't 'burn off with the next hot fire' for me. It will to some extent, but not the whole thing. The only time it is clean is in the summer. I got over it a long time ago.

This is mine right now, it'll look similar to this until it gets cold. I may have cleaned it once last season?? ;lol Heck I didn't even scoop the ash out of it over the summer. ;em

Attachments

• PA080231 (Large).JPG
    PA080231 (Large).JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 261
Mine was note quite that bad, but similar pattern. The magic eraser plus elbow grease took care most of it. What a PIA!

Mine was note quite that bad, but similar pattern. The magic eraser plus elbow grease took care most of it. What a PIA!

There will be no elbow grease wasted on mine. After it gets cold enough for some 700* stove tops I'll clean off "good enough". :)

No.........A PIA is cleaning the glass on a side loader with andirons.........Heh

I have a new BK Princess insert I have encrusted with creosote from burning wet wood when I first started collecting wood. Rubbing wood ash on the glass door only goes so far.... I once read about folks using a razor blade on the tough stuff. I'm a little leery of doing this with my first stove. Has anyone done this? Results?

I don't have the street cred of the others, but on the old 70's unit, I can't tell any difference from using both a razor or 000 steel wool. The razor is a lot faster, and you can tell when you're getting a cut on the creosote when you've got the right angle and pressure. Then I turn the blade over and hunt for the same angle going the other way. The only logic I have entertained for not seeing damage is that the glass is harder than the metal. Purely speculation on my part.

It still goes much easier if I get the stove hot enough to turn the creosote a lighter color. The shiny black stuff is too tough.

I have used both 000 and a razor on the new upstairs unit. I have watched that like a hawk and I can NOT see any damage. I don't wait on that one. The Jotul clouds up first at the lower left corner. Light pressure for 30 seconds and it's clean and clear.

Even though the Rutland liquid works pretty well, not having that mess was worth any risk to me. Also, I think the overspray etches the paint on the old unit.

With respect to Yosemite Sam, I paids for ma view, an Ima gonna' gets ma view.

Last edited:
another fan of the Rutland paste/goo stuff. Cheap and very effective on my stove but I am not getting anything on my glass like you all are talking about with your cat stoves so a more aggressive approach may be necessary for shoulder gunk.

Reactions: Sprinter
That is the blackest I've ever seen it. It was pretty close yesterday, but some burned off. It actually looks more like it dries out and gets flaky. Makes a mess, but brushes off pretty easily.

I use one of these when things get bad. its made to wash dishes - works fine and is very easy to use much better results than the newspaper and ash i used to use.

upload_2013-10-10_14-3-0.png

I use one of these when things get bad. its made to wash dishes - works fine and is very easy to use much better results than the newspaper and ash i used to use.

View attachment 114171

I'd be afraid of that causing scratches. It is, after all, like a coiled up razor blade with no control over blade angle. I use the blade becuase I have full contral over the angle and the bite it is taking.

SpeedyWhite from Rutland works for me... Squirt. Let soak. Wipe. If there's anything left, I'll hit it with another squirt & then a razor blade. You hafta make sure you only scrape with a motion perpendicular to the cutting edge. You can't hurt the surface of the pane that way. If you move the blade side-to-side, you CAN scratch the surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.