RE: Another person learns why using an accelerant in a woodstove is a bad idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm no fireman by any means, just curious about the article. There was an accelerant used to start the fire and the homeowner tried to use a garden hose to extinguish it. I guess if I didn't have and ABC there either I might do the same thing. What happened that it didn't work? I would think with the wood stove being somewhat enclosed, the water would overpower the fire and make it unable to travel.
Fill me in please, thanks

But that wood just wouldn't get started so I only used a little bit of gas... Sad to see or hear about but at least the people are unharmed even if the ego takes a hit.

The article didn't say much, but I'm assuming he tried to put the fire out with the hose after the house was well involved. A garden hose doesn't flow much water, and it's a good way to get hurt. Turns a simple attack on the fire into a rescue, or worse, a recovery. Best to get out and leave firefighting to the pros.

Hopefully there will be a follow up as to why they felt they needed to use an accelerant on a woodstove.
Putting petrol/barbie fluid/parrafin on smouldering barbies is a dangerous thing to do outside, but putting something on an enclosed stove where the flames have nowhere to go but out into the room is incredible.

Just as well nobody was injured, bet the owner feels pig sick seeing his house go up though.......

My neighbor does it all the time, usually when the sun starts to go down I can go outside and see the huge cloud of smoke when she starts squirting the BBQ fluid in the stove. She stores the bottle about 4' from the stove. A lot of people just don't realize how dangerous using flammable liquids to start a stove can be.

education is the key, obviously there is a lack of it with those folks. Insurance company would say have a nice day (we won't insure you ever again) after they burn down the house.

burleymike said:
My neighbor does it all the time, usually when the sun starts to go down I can go outside and see the huge cloud of smoke when she starts squirting the BBQ fluid in the stove. She stores the bottle about 4' from the stove. A lot of people just don't realize how dangerous using flammable liquids to start a stove can be.

Please get a sample pack of SuperCedars and give it to her before another tragedy unfolds.

burleymike said:

Well... if I see a mushroom cloud to the south of us on the horizon at least I'll know what it's coming from now... :roll:

I see "parafin" bantered about as one of those excellerants that should be avoided. Are you referring to the liquid parafin lamp oils? Or parafin candle wax?

I never thought there'd be a problem with using scraps from solid candles. Or am I wrong?

heck i make my starters outa wax and lint, they seems safe to me. but i been wrong about enought stuff already that i could be again.

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
I see "parafin" bantered about as one of those excellerants that should be avoided. Are you referring to the liquid parafin lamp oils? Or parafin candle wax?

I never thought there's be a problem with using scraps from solid candles. Or am I wrong?

In England and other parts of Europe paraffin is what we in the US call kerosene, not the best idea to use in a stove.

Paraffin wax fire starters should not be a problem.

Scary to think that people use starts like gas, lighter fluid, etc to start a fire when there are so many other safe ways to do it. Paraffin can cause problems collecting on the chimney walls and lead to a chimney fire. I've heard of people breaking up small bits of DuraFlame logs to use as starter, which has paraffin in it. Small amounts are probably OK. If you don't want to use newspaper or commercial fire starter block that work great, another idea is a small hand held propane torch. Gets the fire going very quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.