1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

RE: ATV Box

Post in 'The Gear' started by firefighterjake, Apr 17, 2012.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    A while back Lukem or someone was asking about transporting saws and equipment on the ATV . . . I mentioned that my cousin fabricated a box for my front end. I finally took a picture of the box yesterday.

Box is relatively shallow in depth to allow most of my headlight to point over it while night riding (without anything in the front basket -- although one picture makes it look like most of the light is blocked due to the angle I took the pic). Box is secured with three U-bolts and nuts with a rubber matt underneath to prevent metal to metal chafing.

As you can see I often use bungys . . . I think these were left on from a few weeks back when we were riding the trail system and I brought along the chainsaw in case we came across any blowdowns. Normally, if I'm not doing any higher speed riding and am just puttering about I use fewer bungys . . . sometimes no bungys

. BFD Pics 295.jpg BFD Pics 296.jpg
    quads likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana

Yep, it was me. I think something like that is going to be my next project. I've got a rack-bag/seat thingy on the rear rack that works good for small items (tools/straps/rags) but need something for the bulky items. The previous owner of my quad had all the racks powder coated with hammer-tone stuff and they look pretty good....good enough I don't want to scratch them up.

I think I'll just make one out of wood...I don't have the tools to make a decent metal one....although yours would look pretty slick on my bike.

What is that contraption mounted to your handle-bars? GPS?
  3. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    Great looking tool box.
    I needed a project to do to get thru "breakup". I'm thinking about what I need now as I type.
    Soon the road to the cutting area will be open & I want to get a few loads before the mosquitoes wake up.

Having some weight on the front end of the ATV is good when towing logs & going up hills, will help with traction.

I need a fuel, oil & water jug, saw, ropes & chains, some small tools. They need to be secured, so they stay in place. Not stick out the sides & snag (thinking outloud)
    I need a bigger ATV. LOL :)
    Will post a pic when I get something made.
    It'll be like lukm's, made out of wood. (plywood probably)
    Thanks for the idea.
  4. nate379

nate379 Guest

The skeeters are already coming out unfortunately. I was out target shooting this weekend and I got bit a few times.

5. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    That cousin of your's does nice work.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    To avoid scratching the finish on my racks I found a thick rubber matt . . . for the life of me I cannot remember where I got it . . . it almost looks like it came off a thick conveyor belt or something. In any case, I put that down on top of the racks before putting down the box . . . so far, so good. No issues.

My first box that I made was actually made out of wood . . . I built it as a prototype to see if it would work . . . and then I gave it to my friend Joe to try out. I figured I could see how well it stood up and worked and then build another one . . . honestly . . . figured it would only last a year or two since it was wood, but Joe still uses that box and it has stood up remarkably well.

The contraption is a Ram mount for my GPSr . . . I actually bought my first hand-held GPSr way back when after getting lost on an ATV trail that was not well marked.