RE: Can anyone spot the big mistake made by this wood burner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Darwin missed another one.

Thats what I use when my fire won't light, couple Jugs of Gas.

Someone send him a superceder...

Why do I think there was a healthy dose of alcohol also involved?

Told it before. In the seventies the husband of a guy my wife worked with got fired on a Friday afternoon. Went home and drowned his miseries. And put gasoline on some wood in the fireplace to start it up. Burned the whole end out of a brand new two story house.

You have to admit that the fire starter he chose to use was fast igniting. Faster than Super Cedars.

OOhh, I love a good pop quiz.
Um, wait a minute,.....he had a couch. Yep, that's gotta' be the mistake.
What do I win?
Despite the stupidity, I'm glad they weren't hurt seriously. Seems as though some trees have no branches...if 'ya catch my drift.

As Ron White says: "YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID" Scary part is that they breed too..............

Uh... I have nothing further to add...

A little motor oil or something I could understand, even a tiny splash* of diesel fuel. But a "jug" of gasoline? Pretty stupid...

* A splash in this instance would equal approximately a tablespoon.

The Locke Hill Road blaze started when Sanville, 19, was trying to light his wood stove around 8 p.m. two weeks ago with a jug of gasoline. The jug caught fire, melted out of his hand and ignited a corner of the home, he said. He tried putting the fire out with a fire extinguisher, but the flames caught the couch.

Clearly he was using a plastic jug-DUH!!! Everyone knows you're supposed to use a METAL gasoline can when starting a fire in your woodstove :lol:

Don't arsonists use milk jugs so the only "evidence" is the flammable itself ?

JimboM said:
Darwin missed another one.

And unfortunately, Darwin also got the dogs.

"There but for the Grace of God go I."

It's always good to learn from your mistakes. But it is even better to learn from other people's mistakes. Note to self - do not use gasoline to start fires . . . well not indoor fires anyway. . .

Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Note to self - do not use gasoline to start fires . . . well not indoor fires anyway. . .

It's frightening how many videos there are on the internet of people doing stupid things with gasoline and fire:

Badfish740 said:
Black Jaque Janaviac said:
Note to self - do not use gasoline to start fires . . . well not indoor fires anyway. . .

It's frightening how many videos there are on the internet of people doing stupid things with gasoline and fire:

What an idiot.
In front of children too.
Then the rest of the retard convention starts cheering no less.

We often come back to the firehouse from a call and the guys talk about the "stupid" involved in that call........actually complaining about it. I often remind them that "be careful what you wish for. If you eliminate stupid, we are virtually out of a job!" :smirk: And BG, the other common observation around the firehouse is, to quote you "Why do I think there was a healthy dose of alcohol also involved?" More often than not.

it all should've blown with that top on the fire.LUCKY!!

Surprised nobody said anything about him building a new house.
I bet that will go well.

Hey, Hold my beer and watch this..............................................................

How many times have you done something that you know you shouldn't have? Maybe not anymore, but when you were younger maybe? Some people just never learn. Or some people think it won't happen to them. Or some people just plain don't think. As I read the article, I was waiting for the fire part. Well I keep hearing on the news that we don't do a good job in this country of teaching mathematics or science.

WoodNStuff said:
How many times have you done something that you know you shouldn't have? Maybe not anymore, but when you were younger maybe? Some people just never learn. Or some people think it won't happen to them. Or some people just plain don't think. As I read the article, I was waiting for the fire part. Well I keep hearing on the news that we don't do a good job in this country of teaching mathematics or science.
YES, and I some how got away with it. So I tried over the years to get more careful......and learn. And I did. Nothing to bad happened to me for 50 years. Then it started happening, no matter how hard I tried and how careful I was. In the my first 50 years I never set foot in a hospital. The last 12 (the wisest time of my life thus far....I thought) I have been in the hospital 4 times. 3 due to accidents. Stuff happens! Don't get me wrong, these guys are just stupid, but you can be wise and careful and accidents still can happen. Just saying.

burned down a trailer. That is doing the world a favor... too bad it didnt burn down the owner too...

Status
Not open for further replies.