Re-doing fireplace and installing Regency I3100

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Knots72

Feb 28, 2013
Arlington, VA
Greetings folks
I'm re-doing my fireplace and installing a Regency I3100; I had a question that hoping I can get some advice on.
My fireplace is painted brick and I am going to cover with veneer stone.
I have already put up the metal lath and scratch coat.
The Regency I3100 face plate will cover my fireplace opening by a few inches around Top and Sides.
My question is that I am debating on installing the insert with the faceplate flush to the scratch coat and install veneer around/flush to faceplate edge -or- should I install the veneer stone first, up to the edge of the fireplace opening and then install the insert with the faceplate outside/overlapping stone.

I added a picture of the project with scratch coat and installed hearth stone.

Are these options just a cosmetic difference? Which will look better? Challenge to install / mesh stone against outer edge of faceplate? The insert would likely sit back a bit more "flush" with faceplate against scratch coat vs stone? Any thoughts? Recommendations? Pictures?

Thanks a bunch!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 320
It's really up to you. One look is a shadow box style and the other is more of a picture frame surround.

I would suggest installing the veneer first then having the faceplate in front of the veneer. Doing it the other way could make it very difficult to get the fact plate on/off for servicing etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.