RE: How I light a fire from a cold start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
kenny chaos said:
firefighterjake said:
[
Oh Kenny, I couldn't do that to the membership here . . . everyone would end up getting sick . . . it would be a worse epidemic than H1N1. :)

I don't believe I'd be out of line suggesting
that I speak for the majority when I say
we would take our chances.
C'mon, do it.

I'm a little concerned why Kenny wants to see you in a Speedo but on the behalf of the rest of us, please don't DON'T!

propane torch + 20-30 seconds on dry wood = instant fire..
i did a few with paper and kindling, but i much prefer the propane torch method.
this and my wife can even use the torch.

xman23 said:
Excellent tutorial Jake,
Wonder why you don't use the side door . It looks like you have the clearance to open it.

I didn't use the side door since the Oslo specifically prohibits the use of the side door when in a corner install . . . and of course I don't want to post anything here that would run counter to what Jotul advises in their manual . . . of course I would never, ever use the side door . . . even though using the front door is a pain in the butt with the ash spillage. ;)

Great pictures... What is the significance of putting the kindling on the top? It goes against everything ya hear all your life about building a fire.. It obviously works, but I tried it and it wasnt near as quick as putting the paper first, then the kindling then bigger wood on top. I can get a fire going this way very quickly...

that hot sexy vanessa would approve!

westkywood said:
Great pictures... What is the significance of putting the kindling on the top? It goes against everything ya hear all your life about building a fire.. It obviously works, but I tried it and it wasnt near as quick as putting the paper first, then the kindling then bigger wood on top. I can get a fire going this way very quickly...

HehHeh . . . I always did it the traditional way . . . tee pee style or log cabin style and in fact I started off this way this year and then on a lark started changing things . . . and found that in my case I was using less paper and kindling, the fire was getting hotter quicker and I wouldn't have a fire going and then have the whole she-bang collapse on itself and nearly stop burning.

The advantage of the paper and kindling on top is three-fold: 1) the instant heat from the paper/kindling establishes a draft immediately which may be more or less useful for folks depending on how strong or weak their natural draft is without the addition of heat and 2) as the fire burns down you do not need to open up the firebox to re-arrange the wood which may have moved or add more wood to the fire right away and 3) as mentioned you do not have to worry about getting a fire going and then having the larger splits toppling over and smothering the fire.

That said . . . my true belief is if you've got a method and it's working well for you . . . why change? If something works and works well, stick with it unless there are some compelling reasons to change.

firefighterjake said:
Picture 13: I decide to take a short break and eye-ball the stove from the comfort of my easy chair . . . and no, before anyone asks, the angle of the camera is making the stove pipe appear to be tilting downwards as in fact it has a slight upwards angle per code.

Picture 14: Here's where Firefighterjake decides to go all prilly-frilly by adding some "rose garden" potpourri into the steamer . . . and yes, I don't care if you think it's girly-girly . . . I like the smell . . . at least it covers up my stink.

Picture 15: I love my probe thermometer. At this point I am clearly beyond the creosote making temps and so I have already begun to dial back the air control . . . typically I lower it to the halfway point and then to the quarter point and then if the secondaries are firing I'll even close it off completely.

FFJake, I gotta get me some of that potpourri in the black iron pot? Are you guys using that stuff at the fire house? My girl would like it if I was to get in touch with my feminine side. Where can a guy buy that stuff?

Lanning said:
firefighterjake said:
Picture 13: I decide to take a short break and eye-ball the stove from the comfort of my easy chair . . . and no, before anyone asks, the angle of the camera is making the stove pipe appear to be tilting downwards as in fact it has a slight upwards angle per code.

Picture 14: Here's where Firefighterjake decides to go all prilly-frilly by adding some "rose garden" potpourri into the steamer . . . and yes, I don't care if you think it's girly-girly . . . I like the smell . . . at least it covers up my stink.

Picture 15: I love my probe thermometer. At this point I am clearly beyond the creosote making temps and so I have already begun to dial back the air control . . . typically I lower it to the halfway point and then to the quarter point and then if the secondaries are firing I'll even close it off completely.

FFJake, I gotta get me some of that potpourri in the black iron pot? Are you guys using that stuff at the fire house? My girl would like it if I was to get in touch with my feminine side. Where can a guy buy that stuff?

Potpourri . . . it's a real exotic mix . . . very expensive and hard to find . . . unless you happen to be anywhere close to one of those small boutiques that sell this stuff . . . I think the place we bought it from was some place called Walmart or something to that effect. I'm pretty sure this is one of those places you can only find in Maine though. Good luck finding it. ;) :)

FFJake, Whats your favorite flavor (smell) of Potpourri? Do they also sell the cast iron pots at Walmart too? Do you let it smolder on the stove for the entire burn or take it off after awhile because the smell gets over powering. I am planning on heading up to Walmart and get me some!
Thanks for the tips on starting a fire, pictures speak a thousand words. I tried a top down fire but it went out. I dont think I put enough kindling under the paper.

Lanning said:
FFJake, Whats your favorite flavor (smell) of Potpourri? Do they also sell the cast iron pots at Walmart too? Do you let it smolder on the stove for the entire burn or take it off after awhile because the smell gets over powering. I am planning on heading up to Walmart and get me some!
Thanks for the tips on starting a fire, pictures speak a thousand words. I tried a top down fire but it went out. I dont think I put enough kindling under the paper.

HehHeh . . . didn't realize you were being totally serious. Yeah, you can pick this stuff up at Walmart . . . pretty cheaply too . . . I think it was $1.50 or something for a bottle . . . maybe more . . . you can find this stuff back in the arts and craft section.

I prefer the "fruit" smells . . . the ones that smell like apple pie or pumpkin pie or . . . . well you get the idea . . . basically the ones that smell like food, rather than the flowery smells, although the rose one isn't too bad.

I think I bought my cheap cast iron pot at Northline Express . . . I'm thinking Lowes or Home Depot might carry something similar.

As you can see the pot is actually not right on the stove surface so it kind of evaporates away rather than steaming away. My nose gets acclimated to the smell after several hours . . . I usually mix in some water so it's not over-powering . . . and I tend to notice the smell more keenly when I've been outside and come inside or when I've first added the potpourri scent to the pot.

Awesome, thanks for the post. I am going to order the probe thermom and put the magnetic one on the stovetop. Might even buy some of the girly scent:)

firefighterjake said:
Lanning said:

HehHeh . . . didn't realize you were being totally serious. Yeah, you can pick this stuff up at Walmart . . . pretty cheaply too . . . I think it was $1.50 or something for a bottle . . . maybe more . . . you can find this stuff back in the arts and craft section.

I prefer the "fruit" smells . . . the ones that smell like apple pie or pumpkin pie or . . . . well you get the idea . . . basically the ones that smell like food, rather than the flowery smells, although the rose one isn't too bad.

I think I bought my cheap cast iron pot at Northline Express . . . I'm thinking Lowes or Home Depot might carry something similar.

As you can see the pot is actually not right on the stove surface so it kind of evaporates away rather than steaming away. My nose gets acclimated to the smell after several hours . . . I usually mix in some water so it's not over-powering . . . and I tend to notice the smell more keenly when I've been outside and come inside or when I've first added the potpourri scent to the pot.

do they have bacon scented potpurie?

Jake,

You didn't have a picture of how you lite the bows. Did you rub two sticks together or cheat and use a match or a lighter? :cheese:

++ Jake!

Well done. My only advice/suggestion is to put the potpourri stuff into an old Jack Daniels or English Leather cologne bottle. People may talk, but then again, who gives a s##t!

Sen. John Blutarsky said:
++ Jake!

Well done. My only advice/suggestion is to put the potpourri stuff into an old Jack Daniels or English Leather cologne bottle. People may talk, but then again, who gives a s##t!

I got me some of that Sweet Pea & Jasmine at Wally World this afternoon , Smells like baby just got out the shower. I put some in a small cast iron skillet that I picked up for a buck. S##t smells good.

greythorn3 said:
firefighterjake said:
Lanning said:

do they have bacon scented potpurie?

You know that's not a half bad idea . . . potpourri scents for guys.

Bacon scent
Steak on a grill scent
Freshly painted car scent
Two stroke oil scent

:)

smokingolf said:
Jake,

You didn't have a picture of how you lite the bows. Did you rub two sticks together or cheat and use a match or a lighter? :cheese:

I have a box of wooden matches . . . I don't use no stinkin' lighter . . . although I'm not man enough to do the two sticks or steel and flint . . . I mean after all, I am using potpourri here so how manly can I really be? ;) :)

While searching for a photo of mine I ran across this old thread . . . thought some of you new folks learning to start a fire or folks wanting to learn more about the top down fire with a couple of modifications might appreciate this thread so I'm digging this up . . . and creating a zombie thread.

Backwoods Savage said:
Great post Jake.

Bottom line is that it doesn't make much difference how you do it so long as you get the wood to burning. So do it top down, modified, bottom up or even sideways if you want; just get that fire going and do it as easy as you can.
wrong, if the pile burns from the bottom up it will result in accelerated gassification because hot air rises

Status
Not open for further replies.