RE: It's here, it's here . . . the Jotul Rangeley

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain why Top Loading is such a great feature?

I don't think I'd even load a campfire that way, let alone a heating appliance sitting in my living room that is (supposed to be) venting its smoke and fly ash up a flue.

I do note though that they mention that a stovetop thermometer will be included... that's certainly a positive development!

Eddy

EddyKilowatt said:

I don't think I'd even load a campfire that way, let alone a heating appliance sitting in my living room that is (supposed to be) venting its smoke and fly ash up a flue.

I do note though that they mention that a stovetop thermometer will be included... that's certainly a positive development!

Eddy

I was wondering the same thing myself. What so great about top loading?

Nice looking stove, but where are the gothic arches on the glass? I wonder if they will run into problems with people dropping wood in there and breaking the glass since there's no andirons?

EddyKilowatt said:

Mine is a top loader and I load through the two big front doors. So I'm of no help here. :lol:

I have two top loading stove. Love the feature. Use it all the time. No smoke or ash spills out. Is it a must have feature? no.

It really doesn't look like a Jotul. It looks like a Hearthstone Phoenix.

The look reminds me of my Super 27. If it's non-cat what is the side handle for? That would usually be for the cat bypass right?

albertj03 said:
The look reminds me of my Super 27. If it's non-cat what is the side handle for? That would usually be for the cat bypass right?

Probably moves the reburn out of the way so you can load. Just a guess. Hey, it includes a thermometer!

I'm guessing the side handle is a smoke bypass so smoke goes into the fluepipe easier when the top load door is open.

Hanko said:
EddyKilowatt said:

Eddy

I was wondering the same thing myself. What so great about top loading?

I have a Jotul Firelight Cat toploader. To load, I grab an armful of splits, step on the pedal that opens the top door, place the splits in one by one, release the foot pedal to close the top door. We rarely stir the fire or rearrange logs. I don't usually use gloves and have never been burnt (by the stove anyway).

Major advantages: easy, fast loading; you can make better use of ever cubic inch of firebox capacity, and no ash or sparks falling/flying out. We'll go for few weeks just loading from the top and removing ash via the ash pan. Smoke spillage is not an issue. I had the salesmen at the stove store demonstrate this before we bought. I was real skeptical of top loading. It didn't seem to make sense. Does now.

We have a Jotul Oslo also to compare with. We find top loading better.

Edit: Remembered another advantage of top loading, less squatting, something my soccer damaged knees really appreciate.

I am still waiting for that thermostatically controlled belt fed top loader.

The Rangeley? I think their marketing department must have been snoozing on that one.

Maybe its just a preference thing. Some folks love side loaders. Some folks like cast iron vs steel. For me I grew up with a toploader (old VC vigilant) and they still have one today (Quad IR). To me its a lot easier, less messy, less chance of getting burnt or hot ashes comming out, and easier to load it right to the top. I have two front-only loaders now and I think they are a PITA. I'm going to swap out our stove when I have money to either a side loader or top, but the new insert I didnt have much a choice. I do admit though that with a glass door I feel a bit on edge about just dropping wood in, my folks Vigilant I used all those years you can drop the wood in any old way, no bricks or glass to worry about.

And being a Jotul fan, and wanting to get something to match our Rockland, I am not impressed with the style of the new stove.

EddyKilowatt said:
I think you may be confused as to how they operate. It has a bypas so when the top load door is open smoke does not come out. Some (look up the Harmon Oakwood) even have a drop in grill for cooking over an open fire (with the top door open) and not smoke into the house. I dont know what you mean about a campfire, or what in the world how that pertains to a stove.

wendell said:
The Rangeley? I think their marketing department must have been snoozing on that one.
I would have to agree. When I saw the title I thought maybe it was just a typo...

wendell said:

Must be named after the town of Rangeley in Maine, home of the beautiful Rangeley Lake. Kennebec, Winterport and Rockland are also towns in Maine.

http://www.rangeleymaine.com/

Yet another lookalike cast iron stove.... yawn. Jotul has become a company dominated by their marketing department. Once upon a time they were innovative.

Looks like it was designed to compete with the Alderlea T5. With the side cast iron panels it isn't a bad looking stove, but I would prefer the door to have a Jotul grillework option. The specs look pretty good. It will be interesting to see how it performs.

Steel stoves by any other name...

albertj03 said:
Must be named after the town of Rangeley in Maine, home of the beautiful Rangeley Lake. Kennebec, Winterport and Rockland are also towns in Maine.

I got that, and I have heard of the others and no offense to the folks living in Rangeley but I've never heard of it. How is it pronounced? Is the G pronounced like in wrangler jeans or in a gas range?

Range-lee

I can't pronounce it, but I like it. Finally, a Jotul without bars in the window.
Are wood stoves like cars - never buy the first year of a new model?

Todd said:
Nice looking stove, but where are the gothic arches on the glass? I wonder if they will run into problems with people dropping wood in there and breaking the glass since there's no andirons?

It has andirons... the cheesy photoshopped fire in the pic must not have allowed for it.

Stove looks pretty good in person. It has some bulk to it, like the PE alderlea stoves. Look, fellas, its gonna be a price point unit, lets not forget the economy we're in right now. I think its gonna fill a need that the reintroduced 118 was supposed to, but never quite did because of big clearances and inability to adapt for 100% OAK. The TL50 has super close rear clearances, takes a generous log, takes a fan without buying any extra shields... It is bigger than the Oslo, but priced less. The intro price on the unit is 2149 w/ cast sides, and 1999 w/ steel panels.

Reactions: azeeb
summit said:
Stove looks pretty good in person. It has some bulk to it, like the PE alderlea stoves. Look, fellas, its gonna be a price point unit, lets not forget the economy we're in right now. I think its gonna fill a need that the reintroduced 118 was supposed to, but never quite did because of big clearances and inability to adapt for 100% OAK. The TL50 has super close rear clearances, takes a generous log, takes a fan without buying any extra shields... It is bigger than the Oslo, but priced less. The intro price on the unit is 2149 w/ cast sides, and 1999 w/ steel panels.

This is exactly what I was thinking. The intent of this stove is to compete with the $1,600 - $2,000+ stoves from PE, Lopi, Regency , etc. I'm a perfect example of the target market for this stove. I would love to have a Jotul but when I was looking at stoves a few months ago I never considered Jotul because they were out of my price range. If this stove had been around at the time I would have checked it out for sure and from the picture it's a nice looking stove IMO. I probably still would have gone with my Super 27 because of the deal I got on it but the Rangeley would have been a consideration for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.