RE: I've said it before . . . and I'll say it again . . . take your ashes outside, cover them and le

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I used to dump them on the edge of my gravel driveway then pour water on them. The old women next door said I was going to burn her house down. I have an smallish galvanized trash can that I dump them in now. When it snows I shove some snow on top to wet it down. When I get lots of snow I dump it into my burn pile.

My neighbor now says that I am going to poison her because I am dumping into a galvanized can. :)

Mad Tom . . . it's all those crazy liberal hippies living in Vermont. ;) :)

Personally while I wouldn't worry too much about dumping ash and coals on a driveway . . . and do so myself after leaving it in my metal pail . . . I usually wait a few days to weeks -- just in case a hot coal is blown by the wind into or next to my garage -- truthfully something that is a bit far-fetched.

as for the pail . . . crazy neighbor . . . 1) it's outside, 2) it's a small can and 3) any bad stuff will get burned off pretty quickly . . . all of which I am sure you know. Of course the ironic thing is that there are other neighbors no doubt next to her putting far worse things into the air by burning oil or using their old smoke dragons . . . or even burning their trash in their OWBs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.