RE: Lanterns and batteries

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Dumb question . . . getting prepared for an ice storm and I dug out my "old" battery powered Coleman lantern. Purchased two 6-volt batteries and installed them according to the printed diagram. Light turned on, but then the batteries started smoking. Now the lantern does not work. What happened? I was thinking reversed polarity, but I double checked . . . pretty sure I installed them correctly.

I would suspect shorted wiring or switch - something that would cause an abnormally large drain on the batteries.
Only other thing I can think of is that the batteries are installed wrong and are short circuiting each other.
What kind of lantern uses two 6 volters?

Coleman lantern . . . I haven't seen any of this type in some time.

Sure, you laughed at my lantern, lol.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...-in-the-movie-melancholia.78873/#post-1601578

pps2-1.jpg

Reactions: coaly
Jake it sounds like either a short in the lantern or that the batteries were connected wrong. If the batteries were supposed to be connected in series or parallel but were instead connected so that the "+" of each battery were connected the "-" of the other then they would short each other out. If one battery was installed backwards this could happen when the switch was closed, sent a lot of current through the wiring and switch and probably fried the circuit and maybe the batteries.

With those spring terminal 6V lantern batteries you can't install them wrong, since the + is in the center and the - is on the edge (I may have that backwards). Sounds like a short somewhere, or the wrong bulb, or a defective battery.

At this point I figure it's a pretty old lantern and the LED tech has come along way from the florescent tubes . . . I may just break down and buy a new one if needed.

I highly recommend these - $25 on Amazon:

Rayovac Sportsman LED Lantern (SE3DLN)

double check with a meter the positive and neg to make sure they are labeled right if the light was working with the new batteries and all of a sudden they start smoking it's a definite short. i have a twin fluorescent lantern and i believe they are in series to make 12 volts. those 6 volt batteries are great. i use my lantern for panel changes and when i have no power at the panel and my batteries are 3 to 4 years old no leaks and it still works fine and i would say i have about 20 to 25 hours of use on those batteries so far.

double check with a meter the positive and neg to make sure they are labeled right if the light was working with the new batteries and all of a sudden they start smoking it's a definite short. i have a twin fluorescent lantern and i believe they are in series to make 12 volts. those 6 volt batteries are great. i use my lantern for panel changes and when i have no power at the panel and my batteries are 3 to 4 years old no leaks and it still works fine and i would say i have about 20 to 25 hours of use on those batteries so far.

I think it may have been a short of some sort since the light worked for a bit before it started smoking. As much as I hate to toss out the lantern I may go with HeatSeeker's suggested lamp.

I have HeetSeeker's 3-D lantern and it was our preferred go to light during a 5-day Sandy outage and numerous camping trips. Still on the first 3-d cells!

That picture is deceiving, the lantern is the largest I have and the brightest by far. And I collect Dietz barn and railroad lanterns, so have lots. The original Petromax Rapid (400 watt, that the BriteLyt 500CP is modeled from) from Germany is shown below next to a Coleman (100 to 150 watt) and table lamp (approx 50 watt max?) for comparison. Those 3 are the most used at our off grid log cabin. The Rapid takes the cheapest mantels that are very course, and burns anything flammable. Coleman fuel (naptha), mineral spirits, gasoline, kerosene, diesel. This military version was originally made for benzin (gasoline) and later banned the use of gasoline. Detailed article from pressure lamp collector here)
http://www.petromax.nl/petromax_tale/petromax_myth.html

They are THE lantern to go to for light needed outside like a flood light, or work light, but are also the loudest as far as hiss for indoors. The table lamp on the right is quiet and uses a 1 inch wide wick, bright enough to read by. So we use two on tables and Dietz barn type lanterns hanging for area lighting. (in our electrified house as well) 3/4 wide and below wick lamps are getting into eye strain for reading.

Lanterns.JPG Petromax on left without reflector hood.
They get HOT, about 8,000 BTU and can boil water or cook with plate on top.

http://www.ronfoo.com/lanterns.html

Last edited:
I have an Aladdin too, and that is nice and quite, yet bright.

Have yet to start the Britelyt, though I'm not encouraged by the advice in the manual to not run it in the house, never mind the hiss.

Yep, watch the "oil lamp man's" site for specials. Half price Aladdin discontinued items!

I got the last Genie III in solid brass last year for about 100 bucks. They only make that model with aluminum or glass base now. (and are retiring the clear base with nickel burner)
Southern Lamp Supply is the place for any oil lamps or parts. Marine, homemade, you name it.
http://www.oillampman.com/AladdinLamps/specials.htm

Reactions: flyingcow
I have no idea what model Aladdin I have, but it's fairly new and has the aluminum base, which in retrospect, is a lot less practical than a glass base, since you can see how much fuel you have left. Thanks for the link. I might try to sell the Britelyt. Doesn't seem to practical for inside the house, though it is very shiney, lol.

This is the "Shelf" model in brass. They are made in aluminum, nickel plate and different colors of glass. The "Table" model has a taller stand under the font. (tank)
I chose the lower style to be able to hang with a clamp type hanger over the cookstove and this becomes our kitchen light. They require a shield above chimney when hanging.

Aladdin 1.JPG Discontinued Shelf Lamp in brass.

Table Lamp.jpg Table Lamp in brass.

LANTERN TIPS ;

When you let fluid in any lamp over long periods, water vapor from the airspace condensates in font and settles at the lowest point and corrodes the bottom where the water 'bubble' lays. So you need to dump fluid into glass container, allow font to air dry, and pour back in without the water in bottom. This is what causes most metal fonts on antiques to leak over time as they rust a pin hole in the bottom where water collected. Adding more fluid never removes the water. If the wick absorbs it, they spit and sputter letting you know the water needs to be removed. Solid brass is more expensive, but more corrosion resistant.

ALL lanterns should be lit very low to preheat the globe, and shut down the same way. Turn down to a minimal flame and let stand until the glass cools before blowing out. Many common practices have been lost with the advent of electric.

I would add: don't store the batteries in the lanterns. An alkaline D cell leaked in one of mine. It was within the expiration date, too. The leakage actually ate the plastic parts, leaving the metal parts intact. Mostly on principle, I spent over 3 hours cleaning the lantern and getting it working again. The plastic residue was really nasty, and the main switch was a mess. It now works, but the switch is now "ventilated" where it got eaten.
I have since bought two more of the lanterns, and do not store the batteries in them. Other than that problem, the lanterns have been great. On low level, the batteries are supposed to last something like 90 hours, and that's quite enough light to see what you're doing.

Each year empty all lamps and lanterns into a glass jar and look for water to settle in bottom. It won't mix with the lamp fluid. (should be Ultra-Pure paraffin lamp oil; smokeless odorless, clear) This will give you an idea how much collects in your atmosphere. Pour back in slowly with small funnel and do not allow water in bottom of jar back into fonts.
It's a ritual around my place with 20 or more. Battery operated lights would not do on a regular basis.

Should I empty the aluminum font?

PS: Sorry about the thread diversion.

I don't look at this as a thread diversion as all . . . actually it's quite informative.

Although we have plenty of battery lanterns, and really like the D.Light and the Nokero rechargeables for area and task lighting, my favorite is the Aladdin with glass base during a power outage, Burns great on kerosene.

Status
Not open for further replies.