Re: The one thing I wish I had done a long time ago

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
This past Fall I did a thorough top to bottom cleaning of my woodstove . . . and the one thing I did when I was going through the stove was to take off the doghouse on the Oslo and finally apply a liberal amount of graphite powder to the air control lever. I had read about this fix all the way back last Fall even before I had bought my own Oslo, but I always figured sticky air control lever wasn't all that bad, I could live with it and besides it would be a pain in the neck to do.

I guess you could call this one of those Kicking-Your-Own-Butt moments . . . a) I couldn't believe how easy this was to access and fix and b) I can't believe how well this simple fix works and how much nicer it is to have the air control lever practically glide from side to side.

So this made me wonder. . . . anyone out there ever done something or had something done and wish they had did it a long time ago . . . perhaps someone waited for a long time before making that switch to the EPA stove . . . perhaps someone made an alteration or a fix to their stove and they've seen a dramatic improvement . . . anyone . . . or am I the only idiot? ;)

I think it is just you. :lol:

I don't think you're the idiot - you actually did something!

I, on the other hand, have a lot of things I'm thinking of doing.

Enough typing... back to thinking.

I held off getting a brush hog for a long time...about 15 years ago I picked up a used 48" with the folding blades for 450. Wish I got that 30 years ago.

I wish I'd kept the 1951 MGTD I restored in 1975 and sold in 1976. That's about it. Rick

firefighterjake said:
This past Fall I did a thorough top to bottom cleaning of my woodstove . . . and the one thing I did when I was going through the stove was to take off the doghouse on the Oslo and finally apply a liberal amount of graphite powder to the air control lever. I had read about this fix all the way back last Fall even before I had bought my own Oslo, but I always figured sticky air control lever wasn't all that bad, I could live with it and besides it would be a pain in the neck to do.

I guess you could call this one of those Kicking-Your-Own-Butt moments . . . a) I couldn't believe how easy this was to access and fix and b) I can't believe how well this simple fix works and how much nicer it is to have the air control lever practically glide from side to side.

So this made me wonder. . . . anyone out there ever done something or had something done and wish they had did it a long time ago . . . perhaps someone waited for a long time before making that switch to the EPA stove . . . perhaps someone made an alteration or a fix to their stove and they've seen a dramatic improvement . . . anyone . . . or am I the only idiot? ;)
Yup after reading that tip on the forum I tried it and now it's part of my yearly cleaning routine. Some great tips and ideas on this forum. Many thanks to the master!! Be safe.
Ed

I should have gone to my former brother in law's bike shop in New Jersey and picked up the wheels for my '56 BMW R-60 that I had him relace for me before he got killed and the shop got cleaned out and sold six months before I heard about him dying. Anyone from down that way remember Dr. Bobs Cycle Shop?

Just bought an Olso and hope to be installing in a couple weeks, as soon as the shop has it ready for pick up. Thanks for sharing your experience, I'll try it out next year in my seasonal prep.

No regrets, plenty of lessons learned!

I wish I started splitting the wood pile in the back yard a couple weeks ago...

Dune where ya from on the sandbar? We are out there, WAY out!

Yeah, I am pretty far out too, man. Actualy, I grew up in Chatham, lived in Wellfleet, Eastham, Harwich, Osterville, and have been in Yarmouth for the last 15 years. I know a lot of outer cape people, down there they call me John from Chatham. Send me a PM, I am a fabricator too.

Many, many moons ago we thought strongly about buying a stove from Woodstock. Now that we have one, I wish we'd have done it when we first thought about it.

I put off buying a recumbent bike for many years hoping I could get back to riding my old bike. I finally broke down and bought one and have been smiling ever since!

Status
Not open for further replies.