RE: Ugly wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
I figure if I'm showing you pics of my ugly wood stacks (vs. the guys who post those picture perfect, neat-as-a-pin with every split the same size, length and diameter) I should also show you some pics of my ugly wood in the wood stacks . . . I pretty much burn everything and don't discriminate. Crotches, bent wood, abused-by-the-splitter pieces . . . they're all good to burn once seasoned.

Here are a few of my "lookers" . . . so much for the neat pile of white birch in the log holder beside the fire, huh?

In fairness, the pine in one of these pics is actually in my camp fire pile . . . it's fine to burn . . . and in fact burns very well . . . but it had some ants in it originally and split up wicked hard so I took some of the less stackable pieces to burn when folks come visiting. The other piece as you might guess is the dreaded elm . . . fresh cut and run through the hydraulic splitter.

Attachments

• uglywood1.jpg
    uglywood1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 377
  • uglywood2.jpg
    uglywood2.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 377
  • uglywood3.jpg
    uglywood3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 394
Yikes! Which is why the rare elm I find, lays in the woods to rot. I won't even take a single swing at it!

quads said:
I won't even take a single swing at it!

That right there is a testament to Elm if I ever heard one.

Status
Not open for further replies.