RE-UPDATE: argh. .help w/13NC reburn tube -Update with PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delp

Hearth Supporter
Jan 6, 2009
pittsburgh, pa
Greetings, all

A couple of weeks ago I posted about some issues with the front-most reburn tube in my Englander 13,
FWIW, here it is: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/87292/

I never did call Englander, but I'm hoping someone's got some ideas for me today -(I will call Englander this week, for sure)

So, I've got a nice starter fire going and I suddenly hear a "kerplang" coming from the stove. I look over and the front-most reburn tube has fallen out on the right side and is dangling there held by the screw on the left side...no, I didn't bang it when I loaded the wood this burning..

Argh, once the stove cools down enough (not what I was planning on...) I will try to adjust it and put it back in the hole on the right. However, if can't get it to stay securely or if it falls out again can I just remove it? How much will that mess with the stove's operation?

Thank you!!

No, don't run the stove without it. That will just allow air to pour out the manifold holes for the tube. There could be a weld popped here. If you can post some clear pictures of the problem and secondary manifold's left and right sides, maybe we can spot an issue. You could also try a PM to stoveguy2esw (Mike) who works at Englander.

Thanks, BeGreen...Happy to post some pics as soon as the thing cools down enough so I don't loose eyebrows and lashes....Thank you!

Okay, attached are some photos, If any sleuths need other/better/different onesto help diagnose, just let me know.

Again, not sure what the root problem is with the tube, but the symptom is that if I completely tighten the screw on the left side the tube is then pulled out of the hole it sits in on the right hand side.

The last picture I'll post (the one with the tube in focus) is of the left side with the tube reinserted in the hole on the right. You can tell that the plate the screw is in is not flat against the manifold by the dark shadow underneath it.

Thank you!

Attachments

• RE-UPDATE: argh. .help w/13NC reburn tube -Update with PICS
    R1.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 443
    L1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 439
    L2.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 454
So there's only a bolt on one side?

I'm wondering if you could temporarily wedge in a small strip of metal between the clamp and the tube so that it is held in tighter? A paper clip might do in a pinch. Or, as a temporary fix, you might be able to wire it in place with some light gauge wire until you can contact Englander? It looks like you could wrap the wire around the back of the clamp bolt and then twist the wire tight at the front of the tube.

A simple fix would be to put a few washers behind the plate on the left side to keep the tube centered.
Also check that the tube is not shorter than the others and the welded bracket is in the correct place.

I looked again.
It seems the tube is to short maybe?
Maybe you could put a washer or two under the plate that has the bolt to keep the tube from falling out of the hole on the right?
RE-UPDATE: argh. .help w/13NC reburn tube -Update with PICS

WES999 said:
A simple fix would be to put a few washers behind the plate on the left side to keep the tube centered.
Also check that the tube is not shorter than the others and the welded bracket is in the correct place.
Beat me to it..lol.

Bend the tab on the tube toward the end to push the tube toward the other side.

GENIUS!!!

getting socket wrench and washers...will report back...will also remove middle tube to check if 1st tube is shorter

I was also wondering if the tube is a little short. It also looks like the front tube is slightly smaller in diameter. Note that there has been air leakage around it. Compare to the 2nd tube which looks quite snug.

Attachments

L1.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 401
BeGreen said:
I was also wondering if the tube is a little short. It also looks like the front tube is slightly smaller in diameter. Note that there has been air leakage around it. Compare to the 2nd tube which looks quite snug.
Yeah..I can see that now also that you pointed it out...strange.
I guess the front hole could be bigger..dunno.

None of the tubes are airtight fits. Never are. The tab on that one is just welded a little off of where it should be.

Okay! Success!

First, how can you big men do all the necessary acrobatic contortions to work on these stoves...omg!

So, FWIW, some numbers:

tube diameter 7/8"
tube length 21 1/2" (possibly 21 17/32" --the optics on my walgreens readers aren't the best...)
tube goes into the manifold 5/8" when pushed all the way into the hole on the right
tube pushed all the way to the left (as much as the tab allows leaves approx 1/8" distance on right side from end of tube to face of manifold, as measured by a washer
distance from tab to end of tube c. 1/4" (fuzzy pics att.)

upshot: added 3/16" worth of washer's and I have a snug, tightly seated tube! but, as per the pic, does the tube look too skinny?

pics attached, cause it happened!

you.guys.rock!

Attachments

washerfix.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 370
    tab.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 355
That looks better. I'm not fond of the sloppy fit. It looks air is bound to leak around the tube. Hopefully some other 13NC owners or Mike will pick up on this and give a look to see if it is normal.

yep. welded a little long on that end, making the other side just short. looks good now

delp said:
--the optics on my walgreens readers aren't the best...)

You rich people make me sick, I only wish I could afford the Walgreen's readers. I have to get mine at the Dollar Tree. ;-P

I wouldn't worry too much about the clearance on the tube, it's nothing compared to the holes in it. It probably fires off too when the afterburners kick in. Take a look when the secondaries are fully enraged.

I have a 13, haven't experienced what you are. I have had my tubes out twice for cleaning and they are a loose fit. You haven't mixed the tubes up with their locations have you? I believe I read in the manual when removing tubes be sure place each tube back in its original spot. My guess would be a manufacture defect in either a short tube or something is out of square with the stove.

BrotherBart said:
None of the tubes are airtight fits. Never are. The tab on that one is just welded a little off of where it should be.

x2, the washer solution is a fine solution or bending the tab as you suggested. If someone was worried about the loose fit a dab of furnace cement would seal it right up. I don't think that is necessary though.

BrotherBart said:

Good call. I didn't know the tab was welded on. Another Hearth.com Sunday Save!

Just want to come back and say thanks to all of you for walking me through this today!

To Trailrated -I've been super careful to keep the tubes in order when removing them to clean the flue, but that could be an easy mix up. However, I think it be hard to reinstall the wrong tube since the tabs face in different directions on the 1st and 2nd tube.

I'll call Englander this week to run this all by them and see what they think. But, I'll bet that that tab is just welded 3/16" off the mark

Again, thank you all very, very much.

Safe warmth!

delp said:
To Trailrated -I've been super careful to keep the tubes in order when removing them to clean the flue, but that could be an easy mix up. However, I think it be hard to reinstall the wrong tube since the tabs face in different directions on the 1st and 2nd tube.

Yes, I thought about that after I posted

Englander is sending out a new tube. It'll be great to not have to deal with two little washers every time I clean the flue.

Hurray for Englander Stove Works, and Hearth.com for getting me through the weekend!

Thank you for the update.

Glad to hear that they are treating you well too.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.