RE: Went riding yesterday . . . and thought of you guys

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

firefighterjake

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
Unity/Bangor, Maine
Rode the sled yesterday . . . ate lunch here.

http://chesuncooklakehouse.com/

http://chesuncookvillage.com/Lakehouse.html

A lot of history here . . . Thoreau stayed in the original shanty . . . which is now gone.

Used for many years to house folks associated with the logging industry . . . and there are many pics and old tools from the old log boom days of yesteryear.

Incidentally . . . had to fill up my sled here . . . 7 gallons of gas . . . $5.10 per gallon . . . about the only other place that I remember that had prices this high was the time I filled up my sister's Ford Ranger when I drove to the Arctic Circle . . . of course that was several years ago . . . I think the price then was $4 and change.

Come this summer, try to fuel up your barnacle barge at the docks for that price!

Lucky you
I never got enough snow on the ground to even start up the sled.
Was going to trailer it up north but wife told me with my back issues, probably not a good idea.
Arctic Man to start here next month. You need to plan to enter next year! :)
Crazy skiers & snow machiners hook up to run over an up & down hill course.

http://67.131.251.172/index.php/event-schedule-calendar-2011

Purse:
Guaranteed Purse $70,000 without entry money.
Arctic Man guarantees:
Men Ski Div ` $26,000 1st place
Mens Snow Bd Div $13,000 1st place
Womens Ski Div Purse $6,000
Womens Snowbd Purse $6,000

I had a brand new Polaris in 98. My first new one, and gas dipped under $1 for the whole winter. I remember filling the truck up for 76¢. Never got enough snow to ride, anywhere in the state. Never put a mile on it the first winter.

Round here not worth buying a sled. Miss the good riding in Maine, that's for sure. My Dad sold his 92 Formula MX this winter. Odometer had rolled over 2x on it and was close to rolling over again.

Well Jake, at least you didn't have as much weight on your return trip because your wallet must have been pretty light by then. Sounds like an interesting place though.

Dave, it is amazing that you lacked the snow this year but I don't blame you for staying off of it for a while. The snow will be there again next winter and so will the sled.

Around here, there is still no problem riding the snow machines but I'll stick with the atv.

bogydave said:
Lucky you
I never got enough snow on the ground to even start up the sled.
Was going to trailer it up north but wife told me with my back issues, probably not a good idea.
Arctic Man to start here next month. You need to plan to enter next year! :)
Crazy skiers & snow machiners hook up to run over an up & down hill course.

http://67.131.251.172/index.php/event-schedule-calendar-2011

Purse:
Guaranteed Purse $70,000 without entry money.
Arctic Man guarantees:
Men Ski Div ` $26,000 1st place
Mens Snow Bd Div $13,000 1st place
Womens Ski Div Purse $6,000
Womens Snowbd Purse $6,000

Sister in Portage said it was not a good year for riding . . .

NATE379 said:
Round here not worth buying a sled. Miss the good riding in Maine, that's for sure. My Dad sold his 92 Formula MX this winter. Odometer had rolled over 2x on it and was close to rolling over again.

Eh . . . we have good years and bad years . . . seems like the Maine winter and Alaskan winter are usually polar opposites of each other so to speak. Few years back there was hardly any snow anywhere here in Maine unless you went to the very top of the crown or into the mountains . . . but you guys in Alaska were having a banner year. This year we had a fantastic year with lots of snow . . . and you guys had diddly according to my sister.

Backwoods Savage said:
Well Jake, at least you didn't have as much weight on your return trip because your wallet must have been pretty light by then. Sounds like an interesting place though.

Dave, it is amazing that you lacked the snow this year but I don't blame you for staying off of it for a while. The snow will be there again next winter and so will the sled.

Around here, there is still no problem riding the snow machines but I'll stick with the atv.

Lighter in the wallet, but not the belly . . . had a chicken sandwich, small bag of potato chips, soda and brownie for lunch. Quite full.

Born and raised in Van Buren and that is where my folks live. I remember one year not long ago, 2005 or 2006 I believe, it was the first green Christmas since the 1930s.

We don't get the same kind of snowfall here compared to Maine....Dryer climate. Last year wasn't too bad, but even still my yard was showing grass through most of the winter. What happens is the wind comes through and carries most of it away. This year though, I pretty much wasted my time putting the snowblower on the tractor.

NATE379 said:
Born and raised in Van Buren and that is where my folks live. I remember one year not long ago, 2005 or 2006 I believe, it was the first green Christmas since the 1930s.

We don't get the same kind of snowfall here compared to Maine....Dryer climate. Last year wasn't too bad, but even still my yard was showing grass through most of the winter. What happens is the wind comes through and carries most of it away. This year though, I pretty much wasted my time putting the snowblower on the tractor.

Is'nt Palmer close to the mountains? The mountains must pile up the snow.

NATE379 said:

My sister said the snow was typically powder due to the low moisture content . . . vs. the wet sticky snow often seen here in Maine. Funny thing is . . . in the storms we had this past winter I don't think more than one or two of those storms was the wet, sticky type . . . almost all powder. And yeah, I think it was 2006 when the winter was a bust . . . Van Buren . . . is that the town in The County that had a McDonalds and it went out of business . . . something you don't hear of happening very often in many places.

Palmer is right across the river From the Mts but on the "Rain-Shadow" side.
Anchorage is same.
My Avatar is from golf course in Palmer, Mts pretty close.
We normally get storms rolling in from the South.
Lows spin CCW & stack up on the East side of the Mts.
Prince William Sound & towns like Valdez get 10s of feet of snow.
We have to go North about 40 to 100 miles & we get into good snow.
This year we had several wind storms, it blew most of the snow away.
Got to get a good 4' to cover the brush, then goods snow machining, snow was dry so it just mostly blew away
in our area this year.
Not good to ride in the Mts, avalanches get a few riders/skiers every year.

Attachments

• rain shadow.jpg
    rain shadow.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 246
This year was also a good year for the Iditarod! A fast one for sure.

I remember visiting the State Fair in Palmer many moons ago. I'd like to get back there some day but with the price of gas......

Parked next to a bath house on Tug Hill In Ny.
apex001.jpg

So did you wear your "funny" hat, Jake? Just for the record, that's considered formal wear up here.

snowleopard said:
So did you wear your "funny" hat, Jake? Just for the record, that's considered formal wear up here.

As much as I could . . . but I need to send it back to my sister to get it altered since it is way too big for my head . . . figured I would send it back with some fresh maple syrup and some jams from the local Amish.

Status
Not open for further replies.