Read between 130k and 150k stoves sold in 2009

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

control1

Hearth Supporter
Aug 24, 2008
bucks co pa
Just say it was 150000 and the avg house burns 1000 gals this equates to 150 million gals at say $3 translates to $450 million.This money stays in the USA.Gas price came down because everyone was cutting back.Big Oil is going to be shocked this winter when I bet home heating oil consumption will be off close to 10%.This will force prices down if the supply is greater than demand.I welcome your comments.
MT VERNON QUAD
3 TONS IN GARAGE

yardleypa said:
Just say it was 150000 and the avg house burns 1000 gals this equates to 150 million gals at say $3 translates to $450 million.This money stays in the USA.Gas price came down because everyone was cutting back.Big Oil is going to be shocked this winter when I bet home heating oil consumption will be off close to 10%.This will force prices down if the supply is greater than demand.I welcome your comments.
MT VERNON QUAD
3 TONS IN GARAGE

A lot of the stoves sold are replacing OLD OUTLAWED stoves. So you cant say all the stoves sold will cut down on Oil and GAS usaged

70% of our Pellet and wood stoves sales are REPLACING old wood stoves because the old ones fell apart and or our local laws require you to remove all wood stoves that are NOT 1990 EPA phase II certified at the time of sale of a home.

Rod,

Dumb questions here but do you really sell that many wood stoves and pellet stoves in California?

I am from New York and I just picture sunny skies and warmth in Cali...

Take Care,
Derrick

derrickp said:
Rod,

Dumb questions here but do you really sell that many wood stoves and pellet stoves in California?

I am from New York and I just picture sunny skies and warmth in Cali...

Take Care,
Derrick

Why do all you Back east people think that?
California is A Large state that Runs Far south to Mexico and North to Oregon with the Sierra Mountain range that spans arccross from south to north the whole eastern side of the state
My Dads Family is from Utica NY and every time we go back there I hear this YOU GUYS HAVE TREES?
We have the Larges trees in the US Giant Sequoia “General Sherman” Sequoia National Park, CA 50 miles from my house
We have the Tallest Mountains in the US (other that Alaska) Mt. Whitney, Calif. 14,4941 feet 50 miles from my house
We have Mountains that have snow all year round
tallest water fall. Yosemite Falls in Yosemite National park 50 miles from my house.

Sure we are NOT as cold As north northeast in the normal living areas but it is not SUNNY all the time
our average winter temp is 50 deg day and 30 and night. Temp drop down to 5 deg from time to time.
Only the Flat land city areas of California have Natural gas so we are stuck with Propane for other heat. and electric is over 15 cents KLW hour base rate and 21 cents when you go over your base rate.

So yes we sell a few wood stoves. we have one of the larges affiliates of the Hearth association size and numbers of members.
www.hpbapacific.org

There are 2 stove stores in my small kick town.
and 10 in the Valley just 50 miles down the road in Central California Valley.

here is some photos of were i live
I live in the Sierra Foot hills my house is at 3000 foot elevation and get a little snow 3 -6 times a winter but 5 miles up the road is 5000 feet with 5 feet of snow all winter long.
then drive a few more miles you are at 8,000 feet.

our old store in Oakhurst
ccs_snow.jpg

My wife and I riding our quads in my back yard. Sierra Nat forest.
lost.jpg
powerline1.jpg

25 driving miles from our house 6k foot elevation
IMG_7764.jpg

P9050031.jpg

You have trees AND SNOW too?!?...jk :lol:
I learn something new on this forum every day

Thanks Rod,

I have never left the northeast so that whole side of the US is a mystery to me ;)

Looks like a beautiful landscape for sure.

You can ride quads/ATVs in a nat forest? Here in NY they hand out tickets like crazy if you even by accident cross into a state forest.

Take Care,
Derrick

tinkabranc said:
You have trees AND SNOW too?!? :lol:
I learn something new on this forum every day
162 years ago last week a man named George Donner and his band of 82 travelers hit the Sierra Nevada mountains taking a "shortcut" to California...where they got snowed in and 34 of them died (as did two rescuers from Sutters Fork)...at least 11 of them were eaten by the others...

There's definitely snow & trees in California.

yardleypa said:
MT VERNON QUAD
3 TONS IN GARAGE

That assumes people use their stoves to replace a lot of oil......

Not true.

Many people burn 1 cord a year - or two.
Many people use gas, electric, LP or other fuels - so if they get a wood stove then big oil does not notice it.

Big oil or heating oil demand is not likely to see much of a loss of demand related to wood stoves or pellet stoves, IMHO.
There are millions of stoves total out there, so much of this is already baked into the cake.....already figured in.

Why do all you Back east people think that?
California is A Large state that Runs Far south to Mexico and North to Oregon with the Sierra Mountain range that spans arccross from south to north the whole eastern side of the state
My Dads Family is from Utica NY and every time we go back there I hear this YOU GUYS HAVE TREES?

Not all of us back east think that, although I have to admit I thought your winters were colder than that. If you have family from Utica, NY, then you know that people in other states often think New York State is one big city. Forget about those pesky Adirondacks, Catskills, lakes, and farmland ;)

We got married in the month of March in Texas. Flew to San Francisco for our honeymoon and since I was going to sunny California for the first time I took nothing but light summer clothes. We had to stop on the way from the airport to the hotel to buy me some warm clothes and a COAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.