Reading insert temps - max temp?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
Hey guys, have seen a lot of people post about how they try to read their insert's temperature (with no access to the flue) but have yet to see what kind of temperatures they should be looking for, since it is inaccurate.

I loaded my stove to the gills today for the first time. Top down method, 5 solid oak splits at 19% moisture, dampered the air as far down as possible about 30 minutes later haha.

Anyway, woke up 1.5 hours later to half the wood gone and a flue temp of 700F. I'm reading at the only spot I have access just 2" from the firebox through a tiny sliver between the stove and trim.

Is this too hot? And if so, how can I possibly get a cooler burn when the air was all the way down?

Thanks for answering bud. Here is where I'm measuring at.

Attachments

• Reading insert temps - max temp?
    Screenshot_20201218-205433_Google.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 69
The purpose of checking temperature is only to make sure 1, the burn is clean, 2 you are comfortable. I just point my IR gun at the center of the glass because that's the hottest place without going through too much trouble. I know that once I get a temperature over 550F, Smoke will disappear if I go outside and check my chimney. Once I get a temperature over 900F I get uncomfortable. So My range of operation is 550 ~ 900F. Of cause different stove with different chimney will behave differently so the range will be different.

Looks like you’re measuring the flue collar which will be the hottest point. I wouldn’t worry about 700 there especially if the fire looks normal (some primary flames and vigorous secondaries). 700 in the front near the door is entirely different.