reading the temp vs reading the fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saskwoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey guys, just wondering what you do, and what your thoughts are on reading temperature vs reading the fire? I'm not trying to sound like a flake, but I find for myself, making adjustments based on how the fire looks and not only on the temp gauge and I can get it roaring pretty mild or wild depending on how I feel. The temp gauge gives me a ballpark of where I'm at but I look at the fire, then the gauge.

I see mention of guys saying full air til 350, cut back this much, let it go 20 minutes before cutting back air etc but every load to me is a different creature. I kick small loads in the rear end hard, and wade into a fuller firebox a lot slower. I'm not perfect yet, ;) I still stall a fire now n then from early shutdown trying to settle just before before the curve rather than off gas half the load. Kind of like cooking bacon....by the time it looks perfect in the pan, you've went to far. Any thoughts or comments appreciated. What do you do?

I agree with your method. Each load is somewhat unique in how it takes off, and those packed loads are something to work up to. I've found that reading the fire is the only way I can prevent a roaring inferno that puts the stovetop thermometer into the red zone. Getting all that steel 'heat soaked' takes some time, and getting control over the fire before I worry about the stovetop temp reading has given the best results for getting the most from each load. Sure, I get a little anxious fiddling with the stove sometimes and stall the fire too :) Usually a brief opening of the air control allows a quick charring-in on the load, and you can shut it down again in short order.
I've seen it mentioned here tons of times, but there are so many variables between stoves and individual flue system setups alone that determines how a stove behaves. You actually do have to learn and tune to your own setup, wood condition, altitude, temperature, etc.
Crazy to think that something with one moving part (air control) could require such a learning curve!

I use both the temp and the fire. Sitting in my chair looking at the fire I can usually guess within 50 degrees the stove top temp

Status
Not open for further replies.