ready for PE Summit Insert install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RAY_PA

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
May 13, 2008
Northeastern PA
OK, I finally am ready to do the install. I have done a super cleaning of the chimney and fireplace. Have the SS liner with insulation kit. 27 foot chimney. I am looking for suggestions or tips. (thanks in advance)
The tile flue is 12"X18", so I dont anticipate any trouble getting the insulated liner down the chimney, getting it up on the roof has me a bit nervous. Damper is removed and I have 7" of room there, so I am thinking I can get the liner through it without much trouble either. We shall see. One question I have is, will the liner move around too much (after install), considering the large size of the flue?...mostly worried about when cleaning it with the brush.
Should I paint the bricks in the floor of the fireplace before I put the Summit in? And if so, with what?
What type of silicone should I use to seal the top plate of chimney liner and block off plate?
How much insulation will I need (and how/where to attach it around the Summit or in the existing fireplace, before I slide the unit in?
And one specific question for Summit insert owners...where spicifically do I put the Rutland thermometer and what temp should it be at for optimial preformance?

I know its alot of questions, but I want to do the best job possible.
I am excited,
Ray

RAY_PA said:
OK, I finally am ready to do the install. I have done a super cleaning of the chimney and fireplace. Have the SS liner with insulation kit. 27 foot chimney. I am looking for suggestions or tips. (thanks in advance)
The tile flue is 12"X18", so I dont anticipate any trouble getting the insulated liner down the chimney, getting it up on the roof has me a bit nervous. Damper is removed and I have 7" of room there, so I am thinking I can get the liner through it without much trouble either. We shall see. One question I have is, will the liner move around too much (after install), considering the large size of the flue?...mostly worried about when cleaning it with the brush.
Should I paint the bricks in the floor of the fireplace before I put the Summit in? And if so, with what?
What type of silicone should I use to seal the top plate of chimney liner and block off plate?
How much insulation will I need (and how/where to attach it around the Summit or in the existing fireplace, before I slide the unit in?
And one specific question for Summit insert owners...where spicifically do I put the Rutland thermometer and what temp should it be at for optimial preformance?

I am excited,
Ray

check this out it might help https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/11697/

RAY_PA said:
The tile flue is 12"X18", so I dont anticipate any trouble getting the insulated liner down the chimney, getting it up on the roof has me a bit nervous.
Will be easier with 2 people handling it. Not super heavy just awkward.
Damper is removed and I have 7" of room there, so I am thinking I can get the liner through it without much trouble either. We shall see. One question I have is, will the liner move around too much (after install), considering the large size of the flue?...mostly worried about when cleaning it with the brush.
Liner will be fine, once you have the top plate & liner set up top, and the lower block off plate in place & liner connected to stove, it will be fairly solidly set in there.
Why, you wont see them anyway., the Summit sets out of the opening a lil bit.
High temp silicone, can be found at Home Depot, or local hardware store. 500 or 600 degree.
You really don't need any insulation around the Summit itself or fire box of the old fireplace. You can put some rockwool on top of the lower block off plate if you wish.
You also do not need to insulate the liner from the insert up to the first original flue tile at bottom. Insulate from first flue tile to top.

And one specific question for Summit insert owners...where specifically do I put the Rutland thermometer and what temp should it be at for optimal performance?
Front face either top corner above door.

I am excited,
Ray
You should be, its a very exciting time, and when all done & installed right, its a great feeling of accomplishment and sticking it to da oil mongers.

FANTASTIC reply, Hog....thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.