ready to install, what insulation material to use on top of block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ba_jie

Oct 8, 2008
So i am finally ready to install the stove by myself tomorrow, yet there are two things i haven't made decision .
Is it necessary to put an insulation layer on top of the block off plate? if so, what material i can use for the purpose?

I want to put an duct pipe for inlet air in the ash room in case i will need it in furture. Does anyone know what duct pipe i can use?

Thanks.

The insulation is designed to be fire retardent so that if there is a chimney fire either in the liner or outside of it. (which remains a remote possibiility in the area between liner and chimney if you have ever used the chimney before lining.) You would want to have that fire do it's thing in the chimney and not come blasting out into your living room. I used a 1 inch ceramic blankit.
I would think that in addition to fire protection t would also provide some air insulation. But the sheer amount of heat might just pull air up

Status
Not open for further replies.