Ready to purchase a wood insert.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Low won't even get the downstairs to 70 if it's much below 50. And won't do anything for upstairs. I do 12 hour burns down to about 35 or so unless the wind is howling. Below that it is 8 hours sometimes less.

You DO have a window open. Did you check the guest bedroom? ;)

(I am poking some fun at bholler here, but the underlying truth is that everyone's envelope is really different, and one 2000sf house may have very different BTU requirements from the next 2000sf house.)

You DO have a window open. Did you check the guest bedroom? ;)

(I am poking some fun at bholler here, but the underlying truth is that everyone's envelope is really different, and one 2000sf house may have very different BTU requirements from the next 2000sf house.)
No this thing just doesn't but out crap for BTUs on low.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Have you burned it with a new cat? (but yes, low is low.)
Yes the cat was brand new when I got it and it still fires off well and very quickly.

Every home is different unless you live in Levittown. What works well may not work well in another home for a variety of reasons. This is why sq ftg heated figures are just a guestimate. There are too many variables to come up with a simple formula. House heat loss, location, climate zone, stove location, floorplan, ceiling height and many other factors are involved.

Reactions: bholler
too many variables to come up with a simple formula. House heat loss, location, climate zone, stove location, floorplan, ceiling height and many other factors are involved.
Add to that, surrounding terrain and vegetation in the same climate zone can make a big difference. For example, our house has woods in the direction of prevailing winds, right up to within 20', on high ground. Even with no leaves on the trees, they cut the wind quite a bit. At one SIL's, several hundred yards from here, she has a larger open back yard downhill from the house in the direction of the winds..a lot more wind hits her house. Another SIL, on the same driveway but down the hill and buried in the woods, gets very little wind.

I heat 2300sf of 2x4 70s construction with a Princess Insert on low for most of the year.
Your winter average monthly high and low temps on Long Island are very close to what we have in Southern Indiana, across the river from Kentucky. Our heat requirements just aren't very high, compared to most places where residents do serious heating with wood.

Last edited:
Your winter average monthly high and low temps on Long Island are very close to what we have in here in Southern Indiana, across the river from Kentucky. Our heat requirements just aren't very high, compared to most places where residents do serious heating with wood.
Yeah the wind is what gets us up here ontop of a ridge between two mountains. The wind just rips through here usually. We have lots of trees but they are all tall with a high canopy. So not to much protection

The wind just rips through here usually.
So the air turn-over in your house is about like his would be with a window open. ;)