REAL FIREBRICK (2) in a pellet stove : someone have try this?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

franky932

Oct 4, 2015
Sorel-Tracy.Qc,Canada
I found real white firebrick store in the cave. ( parents house) now i have it.

Just buy a Breckwell Big E.........can i put on each side in the ash pan near the combustion wall ( or 10 inches

from the burn pot ( i think)) a fire brick each side to have more heat..from the same amount of pellets dropping in burn

pot....

maybe weird question but i had to ask. (if someone try it......)

Thanks guys.

My 61A has three real fire bricks above/behind the burn pot.

My P43 only has 1 firebrick - P61a has 3. The Hastings didn't have any. I really don't know if that is more for protection for parts, or to help throw and hold heat.

Reactions: franky932
My P43 only has 1 firebrick - P61a has 3. The Hastings didn't have any. I really don't know if that is more for protection for parts, or to help throw and hold heat.
I would guess to act as dense heat sinks to hold the heat without a doubt.

Probably right - the Hastings had a cast iron shell so would hold massive heat by its lonesome.

So Harman put these brick..wright?....when they assemble the stove?.......is it possible to take a picture of the interior of the 2 stoves. (and dimensions of the bricks if possible)......

That will give me a good idea to put mine and a BIG HELP.

Thanks in advance bogieb.

Thanks guys for the replys.

On the Harman's there is a rear shelf or channel that they set in behind the flame. My PC45 came with 3 bricks originally but I added another. I now have 4 on the rear wall of the firebox. I would like to add a couple to each side as well. Figure it cant hurt as I plan to only run my stove in the evening when I am home and will probably shut it down before bedtime, the heat soaked bricks will help give off longer heat once the flame has went out.

Reactions: bogieb and Cory S

If I'm not mistaken, they are actually used as an insulator...
They are quite light, so there is really no thermal mass there...
the porosity of the brick is similar to a lot of air spaces in foam insulation.
In older chimneys, fireplaces etc., they are used so that the actual masonry bricks
do not get too hot. In furnaces, so that the steel/cast, does not warp.
I'm sure if this is wrong, someone will point it out... ;)

Dan

If I'm not mistaken, they are actually used as an insulator...
They are quite light, so there is really no thermal mass there...
the porosity of the brick is similar to a lot of air spaces in foam insulation.
In older chimneys, fireplaces etc., they are used so that the actual masonry bricks
do not get too hot. In furnaces, so that the steel/cast, does not warp.
I'm sure if this is wrong, someone will point it out... ;)

Dan
The three bricks that came with my P61 are in fact standard fire brick. Not lightweight by volume by any means. Same exact ones that are used in the wood stove I just sold. :)

Reactions: bogieb
But fire bricks non the less... I believe they are for protection primarily...
The entire inside of my Harman coal stove is lined with the same
as you have... It's to prevent warping from the intense heat of the coal fire.

Dan

Countryside stoves used to have a light weight fire brick panel and they went to a cheaper heavier panel. The brick in my experience is for protection of the back wall to protect the hopper on the Harman p series and to keep the pot temps up on other stoves(corn burners) If one wants to add some mass to a P series I would get some steel plate to add to the sides

Can someone take a picture of their Harman's:eek:.......(inside) to see how they put their brick.........words and pictures is not the same......

i did go to their website...download some manuals.......but can not see the real thing...so.......

TYVM

I would but I'm at work and won't get home until about 9:30 tonight (and straight to bed for me). I'm sure someone else will get pics up before I can. If not, I'll see what I can do with pics from both stoves.

I would but I'm at work and won't get home until about 9:30 tonight (and straight to bed for me). I'm sure someone else will get pics up before I can. If not, I'll see what I can do with pics from both stoves.

THANKS........ very kind of you ..........

Dirty short burn pictures of the rear fire brick DSCN0678.JPG

Here is the firebrick in the P43. It has a channel that allows for 1 brick to sit lengthwise horizontally.

P43%20fire%20brick_zps60ewhonn.jpg

Here are the firebricks for the P61a. It has a channel that holds 3 bricks with the long side vertical

P61a%20fire%20bricks_zpsv4co4iqm.jpg

The bricks are pretty much 5x9 (approximate concrete paver types.

Here is the firebrick in the P43. It has a channel that allows for 1 brick to sit lengthwise horizontally.

P43%20fire%20brick_zps60ewhonn.jpg

Here are the firebricks for the P61a. It has a channel that holds 3 bricks with the long side vertical

P61a%20fire%20bricks_zpsv4co4iqm.jpg

The bricks are pretty much 5x9 (approximate concrete paver types.

These Harman are well design.wow the price is one of the reasons that they are not cheap.......

TYVM

Status
Not open for further replies.