1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Real Newbie Question.

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Richard Snow, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Richard Snow

Richard Snow New Member

Loc:
    Greenville, NY
    First year burning pellets. Can they be stored over the summer or do I have to make sure I use them up this winter. Thought the bags were sealed but found many have punctures from what looks like a conveyor belt (little parallel pin holes up one side of the bag). Not a big problem, I'll just be sure not to over stock.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. imacman

imacman Guest

If you keep the factory bag over them, along with the outer plastic wrap, they should be good to go next winter. Storing inside a shed and/or under a good quality tarp will help too.

The little holes are there to allow the air in the bag to escape during stacking.
  3. jim3854

jim3854 Member

Loc:
    Rhode island
    I had about 3 tons left over from last year . They were kept in my garage. Burning great this year
  4. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    The last time I bought pellets was in 2011, the stash in my sig contains pellets from 2009 and 2010, keep them dry and they will keep you warm.

Now you have to understand that as a pellet pig, I'm supposed to tell you that those wiil be expired pellets at the end of this heating season and you must turn them over to your nearest pellet pig for proper disposal.
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

I last bought a large purchase in 2011 also. I have bought a few bags here and there to test, but bought 9 tons in 2011 (Smokey bought more than that :))

No worries. Keep them dry and they will keep you warm
  6. gfreek

gfreek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Beautiful Attica/Varysburg,New York
    Always wondered what the holes were for.... I'm using pellets I bought last spring,, covered & stored in a portable vinyl garage.. Mice, squirrels or what ever chewed into some of the bags but they still burned OK
  7. becasunshine

becasunshine Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Va
    You should let us test them for you. Quality assurance and all. :) :)
    SmokeyTheBear likes this.