Really basic propane stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 3, 2007
My dad does house cleanouts and he's got one going on now. In doing a survey of the contents he found that the guy had a Vermont Castings propane stove still in the crate sitting in the barn that's not even fully unpacked. I haven't seen it, but I know its a vent free model, and from my dad's description of it it looks like it might be a Radiance:

http://www.vermontcastings.com/products.asp?model=VF_radiance

I have no idea what the guy wants for it, but if the price is right I might want it for my living room or family room. My Englander furnace (in the basement) heats the house just fine with free wood, but we've always wanted a decorative stove on the main floor for ambiance. It appeals to me because at least as far as I can tell I wouldn't need to do any major structural work in my living room (ie: build a hearth/vent it to the outside) because we have hardwood floors. I've been thinking of putting in propane anyway because currently we have an electric stove and water heater. Is it really that easy? It looks like these things throw some serious heat, so it really would be more of a showpiece for when we have company over, etc...If I had the furnace and the propane stove cranked up at the same time I think living room would start heading toward triple digits! Anyway, I know nothing about these types of stoves so I'd be interested to hear from people who are experienced with them. Finally, how much do they generally retail for? I've seen prices on the internet running between $2000 and $2500.

Can't tell about the prices, because we don't sell that particular product,
but I WILL tell you that I wouldn't put one in my home.
It's designated as vent-free, but it's REALLY a room-vented stove.
EVERYTHING that is the product of the LP combustion is put into the household envronment.
Heat, water vapor, & an ACCEPTABLE (???) amount of Carbon Monoxide.
Everything that is in the air in your home that CAN burn WILL burn.
Dog hair, cat dander, air freshener, Pledge furniture polish - you name it.
When that stuff burns, you WILL smell it.
Check your local codes. Those appliances have been outlawed in a number of states & all of Canada.
Others here will extol the virtue of them & you can take the arguments as you will & make your own decision.
I'm merely presenting the facts as I know them to be.

I agree with everything Bob says.

The more you use an unvented (or "room-vented") stove, the less you are going to like it. As a focal point, it is a beautiful piece of cast iron, but as a heating appliance, you may be very disappointed.

The list price for a matte black Radiance unvented stove is $1855.

Status
Not open for further replies.