Looking for ventless wall mount propane heater options.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Microduck17

Burning Hunk
Dec 21, 2017
New Concord Ohio
Hello, I'm looking for information about wall mount propane heaters, specifically the non vented type. I'm looking to use one for supplemental/backup heat. Due to work schedules we can't always have someone around to reload the wood stove when it gets low. So what I'm specifically looking for is a LP heater that doesn't require electricity to operate and has a temperature control that will go low enough to only kick on when the wood stove burns low. I installed a Dyna-Glo brand propqnr heater for my dad at last fall and was impressed with the heat output. The problem with that one was that on the lowest temperature setting it would heat the space to about 70 degrees F. I'm looking for a heater that can be set lower, around 60-65 degrees F. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

My father had me install one in our family cabin at 1 time. The amount of water it pumped out into the air was impressive! It was literally running down the walls. To be fair, the walls were cold, making condensation easier.

The vent free units that didn’t require power that I saw all had pilot lights. Heat moved away from the unit by convection, but was greatly assisted by a fan. I wouldn’t have expected much out of them without the fan on.

I won’t get into breathing the byproducts of combustion.

I have the Dyna Glo 18,000 btu radiant propane heater and when the thermostat is set a 2 it keeps my cabin at 68-72 depending on the outside temps. At setting 1 it keeps the place in the lower 60’s. I used to have a Mr Heater blue flame 20,000 btu but didn’t like the lack of radiant heat and didn’t heat my cabin as well as the Dyna Glo. I only use it when I leave for a day or two, don’t like the smell. Otherwise the wood stove is my primary heat. There are vented propane wall heaters out there but more money and less efficient.

If you don't mind punching a 3" hole thru the wall, I'm a big fan of the Rinnai EX17CTP I mounted in my garage a year or two ago. I keep the garage at 53F, just to prevent our storage refrigerators and freezers from malfunctioning, and it works great for that. Very efficient and totally trouble free, after one initial install hiccup that was handled under warranty.

It does require 110 VAC power, as it has electronic ignition, digital flow control, and a blower. Electric usage is very minimal, with variable speed blower on low. Coaxial wall vent can be directly behind heater, or remotely located.

There's lots of direct vent fireplaces out there that have a standing pilot and can use a mechanical or battery powered thermostat.

Ventless gas appliances are illegal here, and for good reason. Take the time to put a vent in and exhaust the combustion gases outside.

We actually have one of each. Direct vent wall heater in garage, but a ventless freestanding stove in the basement. The ventless was done in the basement because it is only used maybe 30 minutes here and there to bring the basement up to temperature, where the baseboard heat can easily maintain it, and because punching a hole thru 22 inches of granite below grade is not a trivial task.

If I were using it for all-day heating, I'd not want a ventless anything. But for less than an hour a few evenings per week in an old drafty house, it works fine for us.