Reaping the Benefits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jebatty

Minister of Fire
Jan 1, 2008
Northern MN
About this time last year I was one month into my new Tarm, having first fired it in mid-Sept. Most of last heating season was spent mentally and physically occupied completing the install, trying various techniques, amazed at the efficiency, wondering what new thing I could add or tweak that I hadn't yet tried. A little bit of that continued into the end of the heating season when I finally moved from open to closed storage.

Now I'm mostly sitting back, enjoying the even radiant heat, and appreciating the benefits of the adventure entered into a year ago. Firing is easy and fast, gasification takes right off, and no issues are remaining that are of any consequence. Not that a tweak doesn't still come to mind. The difference is I now do these things at my convenience, not from perceived immediacy, and enjoyment rather than compulsion guides the day.

To all of the new boiler operators, I've been there, been through the trials and tribulations (which in retrospect were not half as bad as they seemed at the time), and the benefits are coming. Take time to enjoy.

Jim. I have yet to have my tarm 40 installed. Soon.... oh so soon. I will add pressurized storage next year.. either buy it from Bioheat or.. if I have enough time this summer.. explore options to find tank(s) etc. I am thinking 500 gallons.... tell me why i need 1000 like your setup. How much more benefit do you get?

I for one look forward to reaping the benefits...the project has become all-consuming, and I got to sleep thinking about soldering pipes and wake up thinking the same....never mind the daily trips to the plumbing supply shop...

Oh well, first time I get heat out of it I will feel better.

Oh well, first time I get heat out of it I will feel better.

Actually, you may be disappointed by the first burn, unless you are quite lucky. It's not rocket science, but it does take a little learning to "get it right." Really not much different than the learning curve with a wood stove. I found this forum and got my first good advice when my stack temps were just too high. After you get up and going, be sure to take a look at the chain turbulator idea:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/13237/
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/17662/P15/#192106

On the air adjustment lever, after doing lots of fiddling, I have settled on "put it in the middle and forget it." My wood is quite dry (two summers of seasoning), but this setting works well enough to not make further fussing worth it.

I am thinking 500 gallons.... tell me why i need 1000 like your setup.

No good reason for this, but as I recall, about 600 gal was what Tarm recommended for the Solo Plus 40, and I just went with the 1000 because it was available and the price was attractive ($850 delivered). It does take up lots of space (about 3' diameter x 19' long). Nothing wrong with 500 or 1000. Maybe it was the "more is better" psychology involved. I don't think I would go for more than about 1000. The Solo Plus 40 clearly can handle 1000.

Jim,Thanks for the reassurance,I am still working on my second floor heat but the first floor is done.All CI rads converted from steam to FHW,It's been quite a project.I am taking a break sitting in the kitchen in my t-shirt.Got to love wood heat,the wife tells me it is too hot.Eric is right about the rads,they are like mini woodstoves in each room

I've set the bar very low for myself to declare victory...tomorrow (most likely) I will charge the system and see if it all holds water/pressure for a while. If there are no leaks, or if I easily fix the leaks, I will declare victory.

As far as getting heat, I know it will be a learning curve. I've got my woodstove firing full bore now and all my oil tanks are empty...no plans on ordering any either. It may take a few weeks to tweak the fire burning, controls, pumps etc, but any heat at all will put a smile on my face.

Status
Not open for further replies.